PDA

View Full Version : trailer tires

bfelts
01-12-2009, 08:20 PM
replacing tires on my trailer and the good year marathons are almost twice as much as a greenball tow master...has anyone ever used the greenballs?
thanks for any input!
b

Brian
01-12-2009, 08:45 PM
I was thinking about what I had in my trailer - I know on my 18' I have the ones from Tractor Supply - not sure of the brand though - I will check

Welcome to the forum

bill1wts
01-13-2009, 04:38 PM
u don't need goodyear trailer tires, buy the cheapest you can. I use tractor supply also. The key to trailer tires is to keep them pumped up to the max. If it says 60 run 60, they are made to not wear out because they are not a drive tire and they do not steer. They should rot before you wear the tread off. I had a good article on this once but don't know what I did with it. Tire pressure is key. I have a trailer hooked to my truck 90% of the time and I went through alot of tires before I learned to keep the pumped up, i always ran 35 to 40 in them and would see tread wear, once I started run the max the tire says I go through alot less tires. I think tractor supply tires are load star. You can find them cheaper online if you get a good deal on shipping. Try tire rack, they may be able to help you out.

Hope this helps

bfelts
01-13-2009, 07:38 PM
thanks for the advice. The guy here at tires plus(gary i think was his name) in stafford told me the tractor supply tires are the way to go. I went with the tow master radials, they are $80 each and will keep the pressure up. i think the tandom axle tears them up, but they were also the super cheap builder grade that came with the Nextrail trailer. I will give my 2 cents next year after they have 4-5K miles on them.
rgs,
b

g3mike
01-17-2009, 07:52 AM
brian,
i got mine at ntb, and have nothing bad to say about them, they wre half the price of the goodyears, and have a better rating.
mike c

fisherman77
01-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah, the only good tire Goodyear makes is a racing tire other wise you are only paying for the name. bill1wts is right, but tandom axel trailers are harder on the back axels tires. Because when turning sharp the rear tires are sliding or being drug side-ways thru the corner. Good fishing to all. And good luck to all that are fishing in this web fourms torny