PDA

View Full Version : James River Maidens boat ramp

newyakker
05-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Was thinking of taking my wife for a little boat ride out of Maidens in my Carolina skiff. Any hazards upstream from the ramp that I should know about. tks in advance. Any deeper holes up that way,

bobcat
05-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Would not reccomend going to maidens in a skiff. A jet drive is what you need unless you know the river.

heavyduty
05-31-2013, 09:10 PM
Don't take your skiff to Maiden's or you're asking for trouble! Sandy at the landing but rocks/ledges 100yds up and downstream. You'd be better off taking your skiff to Watkins

cuzncarl
05-31-2013, 11:57 PM
If you did take your skiff to Maidens I would make sure the bottom has plenty of uhmw and I would not venture from bridge more than a few hundred yards.

newyakker
06-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the replies/. You convinced me so I ended up going to Lake Chesdin. Caught a few bass and one catfish on storm shads. Will definitely go back.
Water gauges are so low I would even question the Watkins ramp.

Brian
06-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Same as above the last place I would put in up river is watkins - kayak/canoe a different story!

newyakker
06-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks striper. The gauges are lower than I remember seeing. Soon a kayak might drag. Is the Robious landing area much deeper. Thinking of taking my kayak.

heavyduty
06-03-2013, 07:24 PM
You'll be fine at Watkins with a skiff, from Watkins all the way down to Bosher's Dam. You can go about a 1/2 mile above Watkins as well till you see the island. Many take their outboards to the island to get out on the "beach". Just consider it a no wake zone about 150 yds before you get to the island, it gets shallow pretty quick. Watkins can get pretty busy on the weekends now that it's June.
HD