PDA

View Full Version : Puppy drum starting to show

ducknbucklures
04-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Found a couple pups saturday in warmer waters. 24.5 and just under 26. Lost another that brok me off on an oyster shell...

Caught me counting spots...

fishinVa89
04-28-2014, 11:44 AM
nice man! Got introduced to redfishing last year by my good friend and now I'm hooked...plus they taste good.

ducknbucklures
04-28-2014, 11:45 AM
tasty fish and put up a great fight on light tackle!

JayT
04-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Ducknbuck, where were you fishing at? I usually fish in the northern neck or Mobjack.

kickin bass
04-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Great job! They are really chomping in Rudee and Lynnhaven.

ducknbucklures
04-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Hey JayT, fishing on the york River and Poq area.

ducknbucklures
04-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Great job! They are really chomping in Rudee and Lynnhaven.

Yes there are ALOT of fish in rudee inlet right now but the report is out everywhere and the anglers are coming out in droves.

Brian
04-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Nice fish - good eats!

31Airborne
05-01-2014, 04:46 PM
So, in Looziana we call them redfish or reds. Curious as to where the term 'puppy drum' comes from. I get the drum part - redfish = red drum. What about the puppy part?

mbaugher
05-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Juvenile fish. Less than 30" below 10lbs. Stay in near shore environments (coastal rivers, shallow bays, etc..) until they reach adulthood and then some venture off shore until they return to spawn.

ducknbucklures
05-02-2014, 11:40 AM
yep, we call them pups if in our keeper slot or smaller... The 40 to 50 lbers are starting to trickle into the bay now, next full moon its on!

DucknFish
05-06-2014, 02:50 PM
i should have my boat in Poquoson soon. got just a little glass work left to do and then top paint............................................. .....Would go much better if someone on here would repay the favors and help me with MY boat.............................................. JAY

I can't get shallow in my ride for the pups maybe we can trade off a little ducknbucklures the cobia will be here soon

Bryan 2
05-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Yes there are ALOT of fish in rudee inlet right now but the report is out everywhere and the anglers are coming out in droves.

You got that right. I was in VB the weekend before last. I didn't get to fish but I couldn't believe how many boats and yaks I saw in the back of Rudee. The parking lot at the ramp was so full it looked like it was striper season.

ducknbucklures
05-07-2014, 10:21 AM
i should have my boat in Poquoson soon. got just a little glass work left to do and then top paint............................................. .....Would go much better if someone on here would repay the favors and help me with MY boat.............................................. JAY

I can't get shallow in my ride for the pups maybe we can trade off a little ducknbucklures the cobia will be here soon

POQ River/CHisman Creek is my backyard... literally. Got a 22ft Cobia Catching machine just itching to go. caught over 50 of them brown suits last year before the motor popped. Always welcome to come down for a flats mission too though.

DucknFish
05-07-2014, 01:18 PM
cool man need to get some knowledge of the area. the Doghouse will be in Whitehouse cove marina for the year looked like a nice place from what i remember as a kid. Wish they had some freaking hotels closer to the marina though

JayT
05-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Rick, sounds like we got another slat lover!We'll leave the green fish to the others, then they can tell us how we just quit fishing after May.

ducknbucklures
05-07-2014, 04:06 PM
cool man need to get some knowledge of the area. the Doghouse will be in Whitehouse cove marina for the year looked like a nice place from what i remember as a kid. Wish they had some freaking hotels closer to the marina though

i got a man cave i will rent out:) What kind of boat you keeping down there? Whitehouse cove marina is all fixed up now. Great location to shoot out into the lower bay too. We will have to catch up over some cold ones at the duck blind cookouts. Go straight across to Chisman creek and look for the 100 boats anchored out. good times and plenty of eye candy after a day in the sun catching flatties, spades, and cobes.

ducknbucklures
05-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Jay T, you are welcome to come along.. bring those 4 hot chicks too!

Snowblind
05-07-2014, 06:11 PM
whose reeling in the next slat fish in? ;)
Rick, sounds like we got another slat lover!We'll leave the green fish to the others, then they can tell us how we just quit fishing after May.

JayT
05-08-2014, 07:47 AM
Sounds like we got a deal!! Most of the guys on here are bored by our "slat" chat. Just wait until we can effectively fish for cobia!! Hope to have plenty of bloody deck pictures!!!

DucknFish
05-08-2014, 08:05 AM
i have a 25' Aquasport i have redone the entire boat for the most part. getting the controls finished up on the tower now and put a transom closure in it. i have some cosmetic things to do but not that concerned with that more concerned with fish ability.

ducknbucklures
05-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Sounds like we got a deal!! Most of the guys on here are bored by our "slat" chat. Just wait until we can effectively fish for cobia!! Hope to have plenty of bloody deck pictures!!!

all fishing is a blast but they just got no idea :)

here is a couple just to get your gears turning. Warm weather cannot get here fast enough! one citation trigger out of the bag...

Brian
05-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Love the spades, triggers and flatties - you can keep the rest ;)

Snowblind
05-08-2014, 10:48 AM
This is why we give Jayt a hard time...:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgu5UDydiIM

ducknbucklures
05-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Love the spades, triggers and flatties - you can keep the rest ;)

We smoke the blues.... only way to eat them in my book.

The pufferfish are the best eating fish in the bay! super easy to clean too... cut behind skull, turn inside out and pull. just like rabbit.

Man JayT, that is some incriminating evidence right there! 10 minutes on a 60ish lb yellow aint gonna cut it. Looks like you guys had a good time though!

Bryan 2
05-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Oh man these pics are killing me. Triggers and blowfish are some of my favorite eating fish. And Cobia...never caught one but they are on my bucket list.

Brian
05-08-2014, 12:12 PM
LOL Oh boy Wayne - the video again....

I have never once tried blowfish - but hey I would be willing to eat one an see what its all about

Smoked bluefish isnt bad - but I agree its about the only way to make it edible in my book. Now catching them all day long, I love to do that!

DucknFish
05-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Blow fish are the best eating bottom fish i can attest to that. i do however love me some spades and flatties.

ducknbucklures
05-12-2014, 08:55 AM
i can show you a trick to catch about 30 to 50 pufferfish in an hour without a rod and reel when you guys come out this summer.

Brian
05-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Well then crap lets get some blowfish then!