PDA

View Full Version : Chickahominy River Fishing Report Oct. 3

natron
10-07-2010, 07:14 AM
After reading angrywhiteboy's report of a excellent day on the river I decided to give it a try myself. Launched the boat at the brickyard landing which is a very sub-par facility. Don't recommend that anyone launch there ever. There is no dock available to tie the boat too, the ramp is narrow and will only accomadate one boat at a time and is lined with old masonry and concrete on each side...........not cool.
On to the fishing. Headed down river to one of the larger creeks on the left. Don't know the name but it wasn't Gordon as I do know that area of the river. Tide was high and outgoing so I started at the mouth and worked my way in with a SB and BB. 30 minutes into the creek i pick up a nice 3 lbs chunk on a buzz bait. Went another hour or so without a bite so I relocated up into the creek where lots of smaller feeder creeks were present. I worked some duck blinds, cypress trees, and outside channel bends without any action so I decided to work up in the smaller feeders with the SB/BB combo. immediatley picked a 2 lber on the SB. At this point I decided to run back out where I caught the first fish because now the tide is prime (last hour of outgoing). managed to pick up another small fish on a large duck blind on a finesse worm. Worked a feeder creek that has some cypress trees at the mouth and got another small one on the SB. Decided to work up in this creek and picked up another 2 lber in the first 50 yards but that was it.
It's now about 5:30 and the tide is coming in. I've caught five but nothing spectacular. The only pattern I see is that some fish seem to be in the first 50 yards or so of the smaller feeder creeks.
I run up river above Diascund creek to take better advantage of the tide. Work a long outside bend in the river that has pads, cypress trees, and deep water acccess. 1 hour later..............nothing.
Noticed a small feeder creek on the other side of the river so I idle over and go in. this creek is small. I'm going in with the incoming tide and throwing a buzz bait up the creek retrieving it against the tide. Wrong right? Not today. In the next ten minutes I pick up 7 fish (3 in the 3 lb class) and miss 2 more. Excellent way to close the day as it's starting to get dark so I head in to the ramp.
Observation, there appears to be more fish where pads and grass are present. Down river the water is murkier and the fish seem spread out. total catch: 13. Best 5: 13.5 lbs. lots of fun.

angrywhiteboy
10-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Good job, Nate. Thanks for the report. I'll be headed down there this Saturday.

Big E
10-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Nice report Natron. Sounds like you may have started in Yarmouth Creek. Good to know they are chewing on the Chick!

BassVA
10-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the report. Has the grass started dying off yet? I am sure this cold weather is going to start killing it off.

gnfsnva
10-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Good report Nate. I look forward to getting out there myself in the next week.

angrywhiteboy
10-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the report. Has the grass started dying off yet? I am sure this cold weather is going to start killing it off.

The grass was fading a bit, a couple weeks ago, Jody.

natron
10-07-2010, 12:56 PM
The grass is still thick but is turning brown. Yarmouth is indeed where I started the day. Is there usually grass in yarmouth creek or is it mainly up river? The brown grass may explain why the better concentration of fish seemed to be around the pads which are still very green.

blanx
10-07-2010, 02:08 PM
has anyone used Jones Neck Cutoff to make the run from osbrone to the chick? looking to see if its a safe cut though thanks