PDA

View Full Version : Lower James 12/31 and 1/1

kickin bass
01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
On the 31st put in at Osborne around 8 am and had to break some ice. Water was 33 degrees. Had 4 dozen minnows ready to go to catch some crappie, bass, catfish, etc. First stop was at the flat right before the barge pit below the sprinklers. My dad caught a 20 inch striper there and that was it. Then we started fishing minnows up towards the sprinklers. Managed a 3 pound bass and a catfish. Fished up around the sprinklers around 1 pm. Water was 67 degrees and NO bites on minnows. Decided to go up in the barge pit and water was 47 degrees. Fished one of our favorite bass and crappie holes and managed 4 bass over 3 pounds on minnows and a couple 1-2 pounders. Best bass fishing day I have ever had on the James, even though minnow fishing was cheating a little... With such a good day there, we decided to go back today. Had 2 dozen minnows. Started out in the barge pit and I managed two bass with minnows that were around 2 pounds each. Picked up a twin tail grub and got another small one. Then tried a black and blue jig and got another small one. Around noon, decided to go fish up near the sprinklers in the same places we fished with minnows the day before. Water was 50 degrees where we were. Managed two bass on the jig that were hanging in brush and fallen trees. Ran back to the pit around 3 pm and I caught 3 bass, each around 2 pounds on minnows. The crappie evaded us this weekend.

Stratos 283 FS
01-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Glad to hear that you had a good weekend on the James. I talked to a friend last evening and we decided to start the new year looking for some big blue cats on the James. Put in at Deep Bottom and ran a good ways below Jordon point. Spent a few hours trying to catch bait, finally got a few. Fished hard until 7:00 PM, caught two cats, one about 8 lbs, and another that was 28 lbs and barely squeaked in for a citation at 38inches.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/383/IMG_6965.jpg