PDA

View Full Version : Private Pond 3/5

Big E
03-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Went to my hunt club Saturday for a couple hours to mainly do some looking around for next deer season. I took 2 rods with me to make a few casts in the ponds from the bank just to try. Stopped at the first pond and made several casts with a white chatterbait and caught 1 little 9" bass. Went to the pond with all the cypress trees and started casting the chatta. I rolled it down this one log next to the bank and it stopped. I went to pop it off the log and it was swimming away. Crap! Tried to catch up with him and when it loaded up I could tell it was a nice fish but it pulled off. Dang it that sux! I'm a little rusty with my skills I see. Well I walk around the other side of the log and make a cast down the side and one popped it. This one takes off like a train and I finally wrestle him in. It weighed 4.8 lbs. Pretty nice! If I would have lost that fish I would have swore it was a Striper!!! I cast to other standing timber in the pond and other logs with the chatta and a jig but get nothing. Go back to the log I caught the fish and bam another one nails it but no hook up. I go to the other side and cast and one boils it at the bank. Another quick cast and he hits it again. About a 3 lber but he comes off too. Dang it! They are short striking it. I try a couple different colors and baits with no luck. Didn't have a shallow crank in the box so I tied on a jerkbait. First cast I catch one off the same log about 2.5 lbs. Barely hooked in the tip of his lip. I caught one more short fish and realized I've burned all my time fishing instead of what I really went there for.

I'm excited about the pond. Can't wait to get in there with a boat. I can only fish one small side from the bank so I'm itching to get out there in a jon boat. Maybe next weekend.

Here's the best I could do with a pic of the 4.8. Real pale looking. Water was a pea soup color.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/EricRowe/HuntClubBass.jpg

J.Cash
03-07-2011, 08:53 AM
nice practice spot E.....lucky you dude!

DucknFish
03-07-2011, 09:09 AM
nice E

angrywhiteboy
03-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Nice job, E. Gotta love some pond fishing from time to time.

Big E
03-07-2011, 10:15 AM
nice practice spot E.....lucky you dude!

That's right C$! I use places like this to try different lines, lures, rod/reel combos, and different techniques. Nice to get a toad to stretch your line from time to time too! ;)

MSTFSH
03-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Eric,
Good report and nice fish!
Rob

gnfsnva
03-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Sweeeeet - Nice one E.

Stratos976
03-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Awesome!!! Nice toad E!

seekingfish
03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Love small ponds and big fish. Nice!

bassin
03-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Nice report E! Were you using a trailer hook on the chatterbait?

Big E
03-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Nice report E! Were you using a trailer hook on the chatterbait?

No I wasn't and probably should have. I didn't bring too much gear with me but I will have one next time. I will also have some shallow cranks in my box. I was still loaded for Anna. I think a shallow running square bill crank would have been money!

angrywhiteboy
03-08-2011, 07:40 AM
...I think a shallow running square bill crank would have been money!

:Agree:

The Square A's are on sale at BPS right now (Spring Fishing Classic). $2.99/ea. I picked up quite a few recently. They are the bomb on the Chick, too. Slow rolling them over submerged grass flats will load you up pretty quick.

Big E
03-08-2011, 11:34 AM
:Agree:

The Square A's are on sale at BPS right now (Spring Fishing Classic). $2.99/ea. I picked up quite a few recently. They are the bomb on the Chick, too. Slow rolling them over submerged grass flats will load you up pretty quick.

I'm going one day this week to check out some stuff. I know they are sold out of all the KVD 1.5 square bills. I do have 1. I have a few RC 1.5's and the Chick fish like those too just a little too pricey. Thanks for the heads up Lane!

angrywhiteboy
03-08-2011, 01:49 PM
No worries, Eric.

I also use Bass Pro's

XPS - The Egg

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Lazer-Eye-Nitro&153;-Extreme-The-Egg/product/51816/-1642526

XPS - Super Shallow Crank

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops%C2%AE-XPS%C2%AE-Lazer-Eye-Nitro%E2%84%A2-Hardbaits-Super-Shallow-Crank/product/51807/-1114229

Both of these have been good producers for me, over and along grass, on the Chick. I'm more willing throw these out there, than a high dollar crank, due to the Bowfin and Chain Pickerel that prowl those waters.