PDA

View Full Version : Time to start thinking warm season plots!

hrcarver
03-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Hello from a fellow food plotter. I'm new on this forum, but I've been food plotting for myself 15 years and went pro a few years ago. Seems like a nice bunch of people here and I look forward to getting to know yall.

What do yall have going for warm season plots?

On my place, I'm got some grain sorghum, soybeans, and jointvetch going in.

Brian
03-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Well its a sore subject with me - I was hoping to be working on my food plots this spring and summer. I was looking to have a forestry consultant help myself and an adjoining land owner timber about 55 acres and I would have some plots that I could start working on. The only problem is that the forester has failed to actually do anything so I am in the process of moving on to another forester. I was hoping for some soybeans, clover and winter greens in the late fall

hrcarver
03-13-2011, 08:12 PM
That would make me sore too! Hope you get things straightened out in time for fall.

Brian
03-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Yeah I cant do much until after turkey season rolls through and then see what I can make happen.

hotrodelrod
03-13-2011, 10:22 PM
I had my hardwoods selectively harvested and a 30 year+ pine stand harvested at my place over the last year. I would like to work on the old pine stand. Put down 9 tons of lime last fall and got some clover, rape, and chicory in. Problem is I still have rows of stumps to grind.

hrcarver
03-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Bulldozers are your friend, and should make quick work of 30 yr pines.

You might want to leave a few rows and let them grow up to help break up the plot. Just makes it more cozy for them.

hotrodelrod
03-14-2011, 07:48 AM
H.R., will a dozer work on tightly clipped stumps? Thanks, Rick

hrcarver
03-14-2011, 11:11 AM
I guess it depends how tight. If they can get enough to stick to it. It doesn't take much.

Brian
03-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Yeah as part of my bid process I want to include the cost to remove stumps in my plots