Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitetail Deer Hunting Anybody...

Default Whitetail Deer Hunting Anybody...

Seems like everybody talks fish on this site. Fishing is great but its the "rut". The absolute best time to hunt whitetails. Is anyone having any luck? Are any of your buddies having any luck? From slickheads to monsters, lets hear your story. Lets see some pics. I personaly hunted friday and saturday and saw little action. Saw plenty of turkey, few young bucks, couple does, two bald eagles and plenty of squirrels. I did however check a trailcam that I had setup on a scrape and had 9 different bucks visit it. The oldest buck being a 2 1/2 year old. The future at our farm looks great but in the meanwhile Im not seeing any mature bucks. Im still holding out hope that a "beast" will cruise through at some point. Im going to check back tomorrow evening and if there are no replies to this thread I might have to trade my musselloader in for a fishing rod.

I got my Deer last night. I think it was a whitetail. I was on 64 West bound right before leaving Louisa county line. Called State Trooper and when they showed up did not take a report. Less than $1,500 damage. Both looked at the car and one said about $800.00 damage done. Said I could drive car home to Waynesboro. Damage done to hood and front grill. Lucky both headlights still worked but lens is broke.
    Last edited by Don3; 11-13-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    </div>

We have taken 5 deer at our leased property in Hume, VA. A doe, a spike, a 3 ptr. an 8 and a 9 ptr. Owner had seen a 12 and 15 ptr. together last week. I hope they are still around. Hunted pretty hard last week. hope to get a couple more days in before the Saturday rrifle season opens. Good luck.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

I got a small 6 pointer last wednesday and a big doe on thursday with the smoke pole, didn't see much activity friday or saturday though. I'm leaving friday for our cabin in Highland county for the first week of rifle season. I hope they'll still be chasing!

Getting ready for the rifle opener this Saturday in Powhatan!!!!

Wed. the 9th (my birthday) went out around 3pm to the GWNF. Hiked in about a mile and found a decent looking area but never hunted there before so I decided to try it out for the evening. Set up between some logs and not even 15 mins later saw a deer in the distance(50 yds) running back and forth going crazy. Tried to figure out if it was a buck or not and it eventually ran towards me and found that it was a big doe. I was just watching it in my sights when I heard something running up behind me and I turn around and see a tall(G2s were over 12 inches) 11 pt. with its nose to the ground cruise after the doe. I grunted once and the big boy stopped about 15 yds from me and my 200 gr. bullet did the rest I will upload some pics later because I lost the cord for my camera.... Would've never thought I would ever see a deer that big on public land.

Seeing plenty of bucks chasing does, nothing I want to shoot. I usually see the same bucks chasing, in fact watched a small 8 this evening that ive seen at least 5 times earlier. Hopefully this week a stranger will show up.

I haven't had many opportunities to hunt this season, but I do have my trail cameras up. On 11-4-11, the bucks were still in bachelor groups, but it looks like the amount of scrapes and rubs us increasing in the Piedmont. My cousin got a nice 6-pointer on Friday in Augusta County, sounded like the bucks were chasing and on the move. I'm looking forward to rifle season. My muzzy has misfired twice this year, once on a coyote and once on a doe.

I hunted hard Nov 9-16 at my farm in Cumberland. The WX was absolutely terrible, temps above 70 and winds gusting to 20 mph most every day. Maybe it's just my locale but I haven't seen the same rutting activity this year. Usually my place is tore up with rubs and scrapes but not this year, despite the great trailcam pics I'm getting. Had some chasing going on early but just not the same this year, he deer just didn't seem to be on their feet looking for does like they have in years past. I'm looking forward to getting the dogs in the woods and stirring things up. I killed a nice 6pt the last Saturday of bow season but that's it for me.

Its been real mixed this year - some guys in and around my area are seeing lots of activity and others arent but are seeing bucks just not rutting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast