Thread: Trolling Motor Question

Default Trolling Motor Question

I currently have a 46lb Motorguide on my Tracker Pro Team 175 and I am looking to upgrade. It looks like the shaft I have now is 42in but I would like to get the 50in on a new MG 75lb TM. Does anyone know if that will cause a problem? Or, will the motor just hang off the boat more?

Additionally, since I am trading a motoprguide for another motorguide I assume the mounting holes should match and the power plug should be the same....does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks
    </div>

TMs do not come with a plug on them so you have to use the one that is on old motor or buy new plug. when upgrading motor on a tracker, it is kind of a known factor out here that the wires are small that come from the factory. The motor if it draws more amps then wire is rated becomes hot and melts, then you can not pull them out and replace with thicker ones. I would look at the size of the wire and call bass pro shops mechanics and ask their recomendations before buying new motor about current wire size and max size motor that can run on what is in the boat without problems.

Check with Squire. I think he has a used TM for sale.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

MY tracker has the some tm and is only wired for 12v to move up to a 24v u will need to upgrade the wires.

So I would have to replace all the wires that run from the plug up front back to the batteries in the back? Any idea how much that would cost? I'm not especially savy when it comes to electricasl issues.
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by EmptyLivewell View Post
    So I would have to replace all the wires that run from the plug up front back to the batteries in the back? Any idea how much that would cost? I'm not especially savy when it comes to electricasl issues.
    Jared, yes, the more power, the thicker guage wire you need. If you want my trolling motor (free), then a new plug and circuit breaker would be adviseable, though you can simply hardwire the TM to the battery, hopefully thru a cut off switch. 6 guage wire for marine use, 20 ft, is selling on ebay for 45 dollars. The breaker is 40, the plug is 30, and if you would rather a quck connect instead of a plug, that is 10. So that means you are investing 115 or less so far, plus you need a mounting bracket, which is Probably this one.....http://store.minnkotamotors.com/prod...elease_Bracket

Its 120, so figure 250 invested plus your time.....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

#8 thhn wire is rated for 50 amps (NEC), this is most likely what you have in the boat now. Most 24 volt motors only need a 50 amp breaker so you should be good. Steve what size motor do you have? If emptylivewell doesn't want it, I would be more than willing to purchace it from you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
    #8 thhn wire is rated for 50 amps (NEC), this is most likely what you have in the boat now. Most 24 volt motors only need a 50 amp breaker so you should be good. Steve what size motor do you have? If emptylivewell doesn't want it, I would be more than willing to purchace it from you.
    Hey Bobcat, Jared just came by the house and took possesion. It was a minnkota maxxim 101 36 volt.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

I went from a MG to Minn Kota and the holes did not match up. If it was me I would rewire and use a breaker so you don't burn anything up. If are going from 12v to 24/36 volts Ihope you have room for the extra batteries/weight. It makes a BIG difference in a tin boat. I have one similar to yours.
    2010 VAO March Madness Overall Winner

Sent you a PM. If you'd like to trade or Trade+cash for the Minnkota, I've got a MotorGuide 72#, 24v tour edition 45" shaft that I'd trade you for it.

Like jrjune said, if you've got 12v now you'll have to add one battery for 24v or two batteries for that 36v.....
    </div>