Thread: FLW's Position on the Alabama Rig

Default FLW's Position on the Alabama Rig

20.Jan.2012 by Kathy Fennel
    The Alabama Rig has taken the bass-fishing world by storm. Every discussion about its use seems to generate an emotional response unlike anything Ive seen in my more than 30 years in the sport.

For every passionate plea that it be banned from tournaments, there is an equally passionate plea that it be allowed. No matter which side of the debate you are on, one thing is undeniable: The Alabama Rig has generated a level of excitement and interest in bass fishing unlike anything that has come before.

Since their inception, tournaments have been the spawning ground for lure, equipment and technique innovations that help recreational anglers catch more and bigger fish. Its the reason fans tune in to our television shows, visit our websites, read our magazines and attend our events. There are millions of bass anglers out there with an insatiable appetite for cutting-edge information that will make them better at their sport. To argue that the Alabama Rig and other castable umbrella rigs be banned from tournaments is to believe that weve finally reached the end of innovation; that the great equalizer has been found; that the only thing separating novice anglers from the worlds top professionals is a weighted head with five wire leaders and swimbaits. There is nothing more to learn.

We believe professional anglers deserve more credit than that. We believe their skill and intuition will not be undercut by a baitfish-imitating technique that helps less experienced anglers catch fish when otherwise they might not. Will it force some pros to elevate their game and adapt? Of course it will. Just like GPS, side-imaging sonar, sight-fishing, shallow-water anchors and countless lure, line and rod innovations have done over the years. Buzzbaits and ChatterBaits were once considered radical, as were flipping and sight-fishing. But they are all simply tools of the trade now. The same will hold true for Alabama Rigs. Its not the end of fishing as we know it.

Anglers are still held to a daily five-fish limit. Tournaments are still catch-and-release. Our conservation ethic has not changed. Weve taken the additional step of contacting wildlife officials in each state hosting an event in every FLW circuit to urge them to study the effects of castable umbrella rigs on live release rates. If conservation issues are discovered, we will reevaluate our rules accordingly. For now, we are leaving that in the capable hands of the experts within each state, and castable umbrella rigs will be permitted in our 2012 tournaments.

Sincerely,
    Kathy Fennel
    President, Operations Division
    FLW Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Striper View Post
    To argue that the Alabama Rig and other castable umbrella rigs be banned from tournaments is to believe that we’ve finally reached the end of innovation; that the great equalizer has been found; that the only thing separating novice anglers from the world’s top professionals is a weighted head with five wire leaders and swimbaits. There is nothing more to learn.

We believe professional anglers deserve more credit than that.
    I think this sums it up

Very well thought out I just want si that's the real game changer

I think this sums it up
    Makes a lot more sense than banning it.

I agree as well/tu/

See, there is intelligence in the universe....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

I think this sums it up
    Here I'm not sure if people are looking for an equalizer to make them compatible to a KVD or other pros that is crazy. If You want to be that good quit your job and spend as much time on the water as the pros do. The a-rig is an innovation that just allows you to give an appearance of a school of bait fish which would look more enticing to a hungry bass and a better chance to get 1or more of them in his gut instead of chasing 1 that may escape his vacuum. For the top qualifiers or the real pros of the sport the rules they lay down are not to hurt the novice but to keep the pros working hard at more innovations. As for us weekend anglers and the ones that are out for the competition and comratory of other fishermen or women, I just hope the states and local jurisdictions do not make this illegal for us to use. Like it said above you still have slot limits and creel limits and catch and release. Oh! And also I still plan on purchasing some of these cheater rigs to try out myself.
    2017 Ironman winner