Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does it mean to be sponsored by someone...

I proudly wear my Triton, Merc, FoM, US Army, and national colors. Not getting any ching for it. Just proud to do it.

I sponsor myself and expect to work all week for the chance to get out on the water on the weekend. My hard work over the years have paid off enough for me to own a nice boat and fish in a nice club with some good people. Like Steve said I don't want fishing to be work it's my relaxation and fun. The only jersey you may see me wear would be promoting the club I'm affiliated with.
    I respect those who have done well on the water and want to and have the ability to go after a life on the water, this is just not for me.

I do wear a Yum hat occasionally I got for buying some baits and a Skeeter hat and shirt I got for buying there boat but early

Default yes sir

Quote Originally Posted by rTank View Post
    Brian hit the nail on the head. Way to go Brian.
    Sponsorship is a two way street in which both parties should benefit. The angler works hard representing the company, and the company will uphold theirend of the arrangement. What alot of guys dont understand is how hard the patch collectors make it for the guys that are truely trying to pursue their
    goals and dreams. A fisherman that does everything right has a hard time securing monetary sponsorship's from a company because 10 guys will fly their patches for free. I work hard, and try and fish harder and let the results speak for themselves. Please don't take this message as arrogance, as I have put my time in and continue to put work in.
    Well said RTM

Is it more the results on the water or personality and personability that draws sponsors in the most? I dont mean the small pop and pop shop, but bigger companies such as st. Croiz, zoom, yum, Tundra, ect.? A better question would be, how would sponsors feel if their "pro staff" was in the middle of the pack all the time in results but is a "facebook pro" and does nothing but promote brands via facebook and other online sites?

Quote Originally Posted by kencornwell View Post
    Is it more the results on the water or personality and personability that draws sponsors in the most? I dont mean the small pop and pop shop, but bigger companies such as st. Croiz, zoom, yum, Tundra, ect.? A better question would be, how would sponsors feel if their "pro staff" was in the middle of the pack all the time in results but is a "facebook pro" and does nothing but promote brands via facebook and other online sites?
    I think you can answer that question yourself.....pick your company and lookup who they sponsor.....then lookup the history of that fisherman....I would imagine the results will be the more money involved the more companies can demand both....Tx results and "personality".....and you compromise from there based on image, target audience (age, income, etc)....so the answer to your question is that in my observation is all of the above.....whatever they feel will help them sell more product, and don't forget locale (think Japanese)....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Good thread BTW. Tank brings up a great point about how difficult "patch collectors" can make it.
    The thing I think most folks don't get is that there are a lot of good fisherman that don't have sponsors or are on any pro staff. With the boom in the industry in the last ten to fifteen years or so, there are a ton of good fisherman out there. Good sticks are a dime a dozen. Folks in the industry want to see you fish consistently well, but they also want to see that you can help them move products. They want you to win, but most imporantanly they want you to promote them off the water more than on it.

Also remember that most "Pro Staffers" are evaluated annually to see how things are going by thier sponsors. What might start as a product sponsorship (free or discounted product) may be increased or decreased depending on how well you represent their company, including paid expenses or even a payroll addition.

The most important thing to do is support a product you believe in and remember that you are a represenative of the company that is on your hat/shirt.
    Also, if you are turned onto a product by a fisherman that is sponsored by that particular brand, take a minute or two to drop a line to that sponsor to let them know their "guy" is doing good work for them. It'll go a long way with helping out a fellow tournament angler.

BTW, Gamma introduced a new hollow core braided line at ICAST 2012 to go along with their top end Edge Fluorocarbon and Copolymer lines. If you fish braid with a fluoro leader you should try out this braided line as it eliminates the need to tie a uni-knot between the two. The hollow core acts as a chinese finger trap of sorts that grips the fluoro and keeps it from slipping.

I totally just hijacked the thread didn't I?
    Last edited by offbelew27; 07-24-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Because F7 doesn't fix stupid
    2010 VAO Fling Before Spring Overall Winner

2010 LAPR/VAO 150 Series Champion
    Walmart BFL All-American Qualifier

I have picked up six sponcers this year.I have never had any before.What I found that when you start you get very good discounts and as you do more with the company promoting their product and getting dealers to carry the products the better discounts you will get.A lot of guys start off and think that the companys will give them things free.This is not the case.You have to show them that you are a good promotor and business man.No one stars off with getting things free this is now how it works.Companys are more inteested in your promotion skills than your fishing.You have to do well in fishing but not great.They would rather have a good fisherman who has good communication skilss than a top nothch guy who has the personaly of a lemon.As you progress you get better discounts and then maybe free stuff.They care more about how you carry yourself on and off the water than you being the best there is in fishing.It's more what you do away from fishing that counts.Most people do do understand its work!If you do not like talking fishing and contacting companys on your own and putting in your dues this is not for you.Myself I love it.My sponcers let me fish with any baits rods and reels that I want.Of course I use the products but some times another bait from another company will do better on that day.All they ask is that I do not promote other companys which you can understand.Bottom line work hard for your sponcers and they will help you.If you just use the gear on the water and never work at promoting the gear off the water you are no good to them.My sponcers have been very good to me and I love helping them out.Work hard and it will come to you and get better.Remember its what you can do for them not about getting free gear.

Default address

brian please snd me a mailing addresss so that i can mail my check for donation/dues, thanks franko,or if anyone can supply me w/ an address i will tskkkkkkkkkk

I mailed out 5 resumes last week . Haven't heard back from anyone yet . I'm not getting y hopes up too high but I wanted to ask if I do get a response , What is a reasonable amount of money to request due to me promoting their products ? How do you promote Non fish related companies? For example Kellog's . ? I don't need discounts on pop tarts I need money ...... will the company usually tell you what they expect from you and where shows are? OR do they simply want you to wear their logo. That doesn't make much since to me . I mean when I see a kellog's logo I don't start craving cereal ... What is some examples of promoting Non fishing related products

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12