Thread: Why do you want to be sponsored?

Default Why do you want to be sponsored?

Its a question that many anglers ask each other or maybe even poke fun of others for. But in all seriousness its a question you better have a good answer for. Any business that sponsors anglers take it seriously - or they should take it seriously. And these companies want you to be able to answer that question with out sounding like the other 400 people a week sending them fishing resumes and inquiries.

So why do you want a sponsorship? Do you want to look cool? Do you believe in the product? Have you ever used the product before? Can you even talk intelligently about the products? Some times I have to even ask whether or not you know how to spell your "sponsors" name - yes I have seen it on here many times...

You have to remember that the serious anglers and the serious businesses look at this as a business model. You have determine what your angle is why you want to be sponsored before you can even start inquiring. Its not something that should be taken lightly either - I think thats what gets guys all hacked off.

A few more topics I will post up in the next few days is what should you expect in a sponsorship versus what sponsors expect from you. But if you dont know why you want to be sponsored then you need to answer that before you do anything.

Yes, Yes, Yes, by EXXON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

I thought people entered into sponsorships for the CDI factor (Chicks Dig It)? Is there some other reason folks want to be sponsored that I'm missing?
    2010 VAO Fling Before Spring Overall Winner

2010 LAPR/VAO 150 Series Champion
    Walmart BFL All-American Qualifier

I know free stuff and free tx's, for the chicks I havnt seen to many hanging around the docks looking for fishy smelling but nice looking shirtbguys lol.

But in seriousness first 2 mentioned and it makes you stand out in the crowds to be reconized.
    For this a sponsor may want his product or service stenciled on YOUR boat truck ext. And promoting his product or service and using them. Unless your big enough they supply you there boat and or truck. Only one I know locally and see regular is Teddy Carr, and I have to say that man works his tail off for it. Either at seminars or on the river and every time I see him, I think if you open his closet the only shirts he has says Geico. Lol.
    Also Tank and I also see working hard promoting
    Last edited by skeet1; 02-25-2012 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by just1more View Post
    Yes, Yes, Yes, by EXXON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I with Jim on this on Brian let's get Exxon to sooner the VAO seires lol

This is a good one......
    I want to be sponsored to build "relationships" and chase my dream of fishing full time.

I already have the support and sponsorship at home by my Wife, The only thing stopping me from fishing full time is money. I am not gonna hurt my family by going into debt to do so.........

Sorry, back to Sponsorship's and relationships. I work shows for current sponsors and potential sponsors see that, and you start to build a relationship. Dont get me wrong, I am not walking around handing out resumes or looking for handouts. The sponsors see the hard workers and the slackers (guys looking for free stuff) and when they want you to represent them they will approach you. To me, its more satisfying when you get approached, rather doing all the approaching.

Relationships- I have a relationship with my rod sponsor John Ballard. I can call him any time, any day and I get him on the phone. When I have an idea for a rod we talk about it and if he agrees he makes it happen. He calls me on my birthday, we call each other on holidays. He ask how the kids are doing. I go down and stay with him at his house to pick up rods or field test something new in the pond at his house. I know that the relationship I have with him is more valuable than any free baits or money. He has my back, and I have his.

Tank,

Those are all great points. Did I mention the CDI factor?
    2010 VAO Fling Before Spring Overall Winner

2010 LAPR/VAO 150 Series Champion
    Walmart BFL All-American Qualifier

Ok, you asked for it.

A few years ago I was really into seeking sponsors, but I chose to focus on a specific niche. First, they had to be products that I believed in, fit my fishing style, but also were newer, smaller companies. I wanted to join on the ground floor and help them grow. This approach actually helped me land a couple. For this effort, I receive a bunch of free and discounted stuff. Things were good and I was happy to represent them through my club, at tournaments, and online. Unfortunately, over time, these companies either went out of business... or, I'm not really sure what happened to the others, but the communication faded. My first two, one out of California closed up shop. The second one of out Idaho sold off to a saltwater company out of Florida. Both these companies made hand-pour finesse baits which I loved and still miss to this day. Man... they were soft and the colors totally unique. They were pretty much one guy operations and that was where I wanted to be. I wanted to help them grow. I guess I failed, but through many conversations with the owners, they knew they got themselves into a losing venture. I guess it just caught up to them.

More recently, with my latest companies, I started having hard time reaching the owners by email and phone. I requested catalogs and samples to take around to local shops, shows, etc. But the catalogs never came. I would set up meetings because I was told a catalog was in the mail... It never came. I could really only show interested parties the what I had onhand and direct them to the websites. Personally, I like to hold a bait in my hand before I buy it. I can't expect a tackle shop owner to invest in a bait brand without seeing, feeling, and even using a particular bait. I must not be a good salesman either, but I tried. The other went the route of, I am not sure how to describe it, but a pro-staff where you have to spend a certain about of money each year to remain on the team. I was one of the originals so I had my fees waived. But as they grew, I couldn't reach anyone in the company, by email or phone... At that point there was really nothing I could do for them. So in these latest cases, I've just let myself fade away.

I really felt honored for the opportunity to represent these companies and felt pride in it too. As I've aged, I have realized that I won't be fishing on the Elite Trail anytime soon either. But I love the fishing industry and rather be involved in that, then working any other 9-5 job.

Lastly, I remember the time when you got shirts, hats, visors, etc from a company when you purchased products or you could just buy the gear. This showed people what brands you supported and you were pretty much a walking advertisement for them. Now, anyone can get a jersey, sponsored or not, and pretty much put any company on it. The companies don't mind because you are giving them free advertising, but it has diluted those who truly represent a company. There was a point I would approach someone and ask about a company they were wearing because I was interested. A true pro-staffer, like Tank with JB Rods, knows the product, can explain all about the company and products. Now, I just look around and everyone has companies on their shirts. It really has be hard to tell a true pro-staffer from... what has been deemed on Urban Dictionary, a Patch Pirate (see below)! Haha, it makes me laugh.

1. Patch Pirate
    One in the bass fishing community who shows up to to tournaments and other gatherings wearing patches and logos of product found in the fishing world trying to portray the image of affiliation with a brand. Gernerally speaking these are the type of people who are on internet forums preaching the word of fishing and how great they are, but are usually posers' who work a regular 9-5 job and would like others to think they are professional fisherman.
    "At least you will look like you know what you are doing if you fish with that patch pirate."

In closing I hope I don't sound bitter because I am not. Nothing in this is post is directed at anyone, any company, any club, any product, anything. In all these instances, there has never been any bad blood. Things just change over time and I accept that. These issues are just something that have been on my mind for a while and you guys are good group to share it with. I look forward to hearing similar cases or perhaps some humbling... that I too was nothing more then a Patch Pirate.. lol!...
    Last edited by eligolfer; 03-01-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    eli golfer
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Awesome post Eli.....I appreciate very much the guys like you, Tank, John and others who have a dream/love/enthusiasm for fishing and want to be sponsored. It is kool that you open up about your asperations and how you approach it. Thanks for sharing.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.