Thread: James River Shad Fishing April 10

Default James River Shad Fishing April 10

I met a buddy of mine and my brother down at Ancarrows at 5 tonight for a few hours of shad fishing. I was concerned because I hadnt seen anything on the shad cam all day today - on top of that the wind was blowing hard all day. We get down there and get launched and found the fish busting all around - it was going to be a good trip!

Water clarity was way up from Saturday when I was there last and the temps had climbed as well. We had good visibility to maybe 6 feet or so. Fish were very aggressive and were hitting every color. With the sun still high the fish were staying deep but as it got later and later more fish were moving up in the water column.

Only hickories today and they were much larger than Saturdays fish - well over 100 shad tonight. Today I also hammered really big herring which is not usually what happens on shad darts - but these were the monster size herring. Just remember you cant keep herring.

Typical hickory shad from today
    Name:  DSCN4463.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  135.5 KB

Nice going Brian.

Good to know they are still there. Maybe I'll head back Thursday after getting blanked with my son present on Saturday.

Nice day out there. Last year I caught a lot of those hickory shad. 2 weeks ago hit a few american shad. Last trip out few days ago, the striper started appearing. When I get back from Jamaica next week, gonna hit there for some striper action.....

Joefroggy
    </div>

Brian, looks like you guys had a great time. Never fished for shad but over 100 in a few hours means there was a lot of action going on. Thanks for the report.

Great pic and thanks for the report.

"Cuzncarl" love the screen name - assume we are talking about the #99 Rousch Fenway Cousin Carl...

Nice work out there dude.
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

I got a few questions on lure choice. I know Jay has been killing them on spoons but here is what we have been using.

We have run two rigs - the first being just a straight up shad dart in 1/8 ounce - almost always chartreuse - some times chartreuse and black head, chartreuse and red head. Always a white or chartreuse buck tail though. These colors stand out in all water conditions and have always worked.

The second rig was the same shad dart but with a 24" dropper to a crappie tube jig. The color of tube jig was red head with a chartreuse tail - this was usually the bomb and always a chance at a double. The tube jigs are awesome because you can keep switching out to see what color combos work best and then fine tune. Plus you get the crappie tube kits for like $10.

Lot of people throwing a lot of stuff down there but I can tell you more often than not we are out fishing people at least 2:1 - dont know what they are throwing but man people struggled.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzncarl View Post
    Great pic and thanks for the report.
    That's a big 10-4 Striper!

Striper
    Thanks for the advice. Taking two kids tomorrow, need to have some action to keep the interest up!