Thread: James River Shad Report 4-12 - A tale of two rivers

Default James River Shad Report 4-12 - A tale of two rivers

Took my boat down to Ancarrows last night after work and met my brother and his 7 year old for a few hours of shad fishing. My nephew had never been before so he was excited and I was just hoping we could get him on some fish. The James was super clear even from Tuesday night and it was a dead low tide. There were several other boats in the same spot I wanted to sit in so I knew we would be shuffling around as other boats moved. There is one stretch of the channel that I have never been blanked on and I intended to sit on it again - even if I had to torpedo a few boats...

We got anchored up and it was slow going - called Jay to find out the tide change and just waited it out but manged to catch 12 fish before the boat next to us with 4 anglers caught one. Started thinking again about lure choices and still amazed at how picky shad can be - these guys were throwing different things but no luck. Incoming tide started in and the bite picked up quick. We were casting to the exact same spot as this other boat but we would hook up and they wouldnt. They just started shaking their heads as they paid for their captain that day I think. We killed'em in this one spot and had a great time. In all we were around the 60 shad number - a little slower than some other trips but the really clear water and low tide affected the shad until the sun went down and the tide came in. My nephew did an awesome and caught his first shad and then proceeded to catch 12-14 more at least. Proud of him sticking with it and landing some great shad.

A tale of two rivers....
    These guys in the other boat were casting to the same exact hole. We got bit they struggled. We were using the shad dart with a crappie tube jig dropper about 24" down. Dart was green head chartreuse body with white bucktail in 1/8 ounce. Crappie tube jig was red head and chartreuse tail - same set for the last 3 trips. It wasnt coincidence on us killing the shad and them struggling. You have to have a variety of baits and colors and keep switching to find what works. Also the cadence - some times the shad like an aggressive action sometimes more subtle. also play with depth - count it down 3-5 seconds before retrieving - with shallow clear water the shad are staying deep as the osprey were picking them off as well.

Also Jay and Erik were up river about 500 yards but their group struggled to catch 6-8 fish last night - the fish never moved up during that low tide. Dont be afraid to move around - use the bent rod pattern if you have to - there is plenty of room and thousands of fish. Find the active fish and remember they move in schools so it will slow down at times.

Here is Jeff and Ben from last night
    Name:  ben2.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  ben1.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  102.0 KB

Here is a map of the area. The red circle to the right is the channel area I prefer to fish - also great from the bank. The circle to the left is where Jay and Erik struggled but usually is pretty good.Name:  map.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  123.8 KB

nice break down report B. Thanks for showing every shad angler in the state of VA. my hole.
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

no worries Jay - your hole didnt produce last night! And if you arent a member you cant see the pic. - oh yeah these fish will be gone in a week or so

Yeah, I sure brought the bad luck last night, Imagine that?

"Should have been here yesterday..." The story of my life when it comes to fishing.

Anyway, I did land one up there near the 14th St. bridge, and have had successful outings in both those spots indicated by Striper. (Which apparently is Jay's secret spot, along with about 800-1000 other folks). Hindsight is always 20/20, and I should have walked down by the discharge, but didn't really feel like walking or climbing the rocks. I kept hearing "they'll turn on in 10-20 minutes" or "as soon as the water gets over that rock and the sun drops, they'll be on".

Oh well. Good to meet some new folks and talk fishing for a bit either way.

The Buzz & Neds BBQ on the way home was the hightlight of the evening though. LOL

Buzz and Ned's, bleh over rated....you also definately brought the bad luck as we'd been drilling them every night until you showed up......also good louck further down the rocks with 80 boats piled into "stripers hole" also have fun with the snags. you were in the best spot. problem is , you were in it....
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Quote Originally Posted by JayT View Post
    Buzz and Ned's, bleh over rated....
    Exactly my point.

Quote Originally Posted by JayT View Post
    you were in the best spot. problem is , you were in it....
    LMAO. Thanks, glad I could be of service.

I prefer brians spot Jay, just sayin. If you go to the right at the fork in the river, there is a southern states sign on the bank on the left. Right in front there is a deeper hole that Ive caught stipers in before. I caught one there before that was 9 or 11 pounds, dont remember which one but I know it was one or the other. I learned about that on an old video "old dominion outdoors" they used to sell at greentop. It was all about fishing on the james. The guy gave up some pretty good crappie areas too.
    You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.

I just looked it up out of curiosity. The guys name is Niel Renouf and they still sell the videos at olddominionoutdoors.com. I used to have volumes 1 and 2. Let a guy borrow them about 7 years ago......
    You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.