Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am in FREAK OUT status!!!

Default I am in FREAK OUT status!!!

I've read a few posts about blown power-heads (just out of curiosity). I definitely want to avoid that. I usually get my gas at the WAWA right by my house. That stops today. Unfortunately, I just filled up today. Is the Marine Sta-Bil really effective at avoiding the ethanol related problem?

Also, I live in Stafford. Is High Point the closest station for pure gas? I am ready to siphon that gas out of my boat.

Are there any symptoms prior to the blown power head? Thanks.

I've had my boat for 12 years and have gotten gas at Wawa and other regular gas stations. Have not had an issue once. I only have a 9.9 gas engine and I have a 4 stroke engine. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I think the whole gas thing is overblown but maybe some with bigger motors have had issues... Joefroggy
    </div>

Hope Springs has ethanol free Gas I would avoid going to Aquia Marina as a friend at works husband bought gas there that was watered down and cost him big bucks to have it repaired.

Most Marinas sell the ethanol free gas from what I have found.
    Steve Sekula
    "Sempr"

Hope you are right about Hope Springs Steve because I'm only 5 miles away. However, I called them earlier this week and the person I spoke with said they do not sell ethanol free gas. Hope that person was wrong.

I've been filling my boat with regular gas from all over the state and I've never had an issue. If you use regular gas you need to either keep your tank completely full or burn what you put in. I fish out of Aquia regularly so I barely add any gas each trip. I never have anymore than a 1/4 tank at the end of the day and that doesn't stay for very long.

Stabil and other ethanol fuel additives will simply slow the process.
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Best way to avoid the effects of ethanol is to turn and burn the gas - dont let it get stale

A lot of guys power heads are blown from lack of proper care.... How many times do you see guys start their motors at the dock and idle out 200yds and drop the hammer... The blocks need to be 120* before dropping the hammer. Your block is going to be about 5-10* colder then the ambient air temp if you have a decent commute as the 60-65mph winds on it from towing cool it down more then the air temp... So lets say at 6a.m. it's 55*, you motor will start at 50*.... it takes about 3-4minutes at minimum to warm up to 120*... I always pay attention to my digital guage for this... It's imperative. Metal expands and contracts with temp variances.

Also, you have injectors. If you have a DFI motor, they literally just release a high pressure MIST of fuel and oil mix into the cylinder... If that injector is blocked in any way shape or form from the most minute piece of debris that cylinder is lean... no oil mean no lubrication, and once you have a very small scorn on the cylinder wall it's a ticking time bomb and you won't even know it's happened unless you use a bore scope regularly.

Rough water.... To the average person it doesnt make sense. Blocks are precise machines that run ultra high RPM's. 6000 rpms??? Now think about taking that motor and giving it high impacts while revolving... Yes, 3 waves aren't the best for a motor while under way though it's hard to avoid.

If your using ethanol or watered fuel, the proper filters and additives will prevent the negatives. These filters should be changed frequently. If the manufacturer says every 100hrs, do it every 80... There is nothing like the feeling of being broke down Tuesday evening as the sun is setting and your in the middle of the river down by potomac creek and your trailer is at smallwood.... Overly maintained boats mean reliability...

Quote Originally Posted by JayT View Post
    I've been filling my boat with regular gas from all over the state and I've never had an issue.
    Jay - Didn't you just get a new/used motor last year? What happened to the old one? LOL

My car mechanic, who's run boats his whole life, recommends Shell gasoline if the ethanol free is not available...and yes, I do trust him - he's never steered me wrong.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Yes, the marine Sta-Bil works. Think you'll learn that most powerhead failures come from abuse (excessive RPMs and lack of maintenance) vice ethanol in gas. Keep in mind that newer motors are designed to run w/ specific octane levels. Putting something other than what the motor calls for takes the powerhead out of its programmed performance range. Those little computers are pretty sensitive. And they do work.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    Yes, the marine Sta-Bil works. Think you'll learn that most powerhead failures come from abuse (excessive RPMs and lack of maintenance) vice ethanol in gas. Keep in mind that newer motors are designed to run w/ specific octane levels. Putting something other than what the motor calls for takes the powerhead out of its programmed performance range. Those little computers are pretty sensitive. And they do work.
    I talked with a Merc guy yesterday as part of my current new lower unit issues (yep, 1 month out of warrenty on 1 year old new lower unit)....Not sure I won't get attacked for what I am about to say, but according to Merc, Yamaha, etc....88% of all major malfunctions occur on boats with hydraulic jackplates. Turns out, guys who are new to them, love to play with them and will raise it too high and not pay attention to motor temps...basically cavitation occurs and people over rev and over heat their motors and don't pay catch on that is what is happening. The new computers on engines of course track all this now...so I was strongly advised to stay away from a hydraulic jackplate because of the likelihood I'll f up my motor during my learning curve.....I thought the statistic was staggaring.....net/net though is that running your boat at the wrong temp (too hot/too cold) and past the rev range is deadly....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast