Thread: FOM-Lake Gaston-Team Williams

Default FOM-Lake Gaston-Team Williams

Well, Im not posting up after a 3rd place finish this time...or a top 10...or a top 20. Nope, 35th place for these guys. Im going to share our experience anyways because something can be taken from anything. Which brings me to my overdue congrats to Steve and Brian on their finish( I would have responded to your posts Airborne but my internet has been down since sunday, hence the late report) That had to have been one of the more exciting moments having 3 keepers on the a-rig. More on the a-rig to follow in my post.

Fri(pre-fish)- Dad and I started way up lake past the railroad trussels. We tried little cuts off the main lake(really like a river that far up) We bounced around different areas for a while, throwing crankbaits, flipping grass. After a good effort and only one small dinker to show for it, we decided this was not the area we wanted to fish saturday. We ventured a little further down, this time to hawtree creek. We tried to get a shallow bite going flipping grass and pads. Well, it wasnt happening. I did manage to catch one about 4.5lbs in the grass, but it was only one of the four keepers we caught all day. So friday night, we decided that pre-fishing told us what we were not going to do saturday.

Sat(tx)- After drawing boat 70 at the meeting fri. night, and not being on any fish in practice, we just turned the boat in the opposite direction of the field at take off and when our number was called went right to the back of hollygrove creek. We decided the fish had already been through the spawn(the majority) and to focus on some secondary points. Well, the first on we pulled up to had some shallow grass and I couldnt help myself and got right up on the point to flip the grass. Withing 5 or 6 cast, I lose the first fish of the day( which felt like a good one, of course they are all bigger when they get away) We decided just to keep the trolling motor down and keep our lines wet. We managed a few fish in hollygrove on a little of everything. Flippin grass(with my favorite creature bait) We caught some on docks(spinning gear and small finesse baits fished around the pilings, and a couple on points(crankbaits and carolina rigs) We had a small limit in the boat and decided to head to sixpound creek. Well, there was no grass to distract me on the points we decided to fish and so it was crankbait time. I was throwing one that dove 8-10ft. We saw a bird catching shad on a point ahead of us. Then we saw a big splash. We hurry over, I fling the crankbait, and fish on, and the next cast, and the next cast. Three in a row, not big, maybe cull an ounce or two, but very fun. Dad was throwing a carolina rig, but after seeing me nail them with a crankbait, decided he wanted to throw the a-rig. He caught 2 keepers on 3 cast, both bigger than any fish I caught on the crankbait. That rig will definetly attract the bigger ones. We caught a total of 10 keepers on this one point in a very short period just no kickers. If only we had of figured it out earlier maybe we could have been up there with Squire and Airborne!!! Hey, thats tournament fishing though.

Side note: Every episode of Major League Fishing I have watched that the guys were throwing the a-rig, they had the biggest average in size of bass.
    You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.

Still you guys are rockin it no shame in your game. Glad to see Team Tin doing well! Keep at it and keep fishing hard.

Thanks for the report Mike. Sounds like a fun day, even without a check.

Need blade baits? Click here

Nice adjustment, Mike. Great report and story. Nothing better than fishing w/ dad. Well done, doods.

Still a good days guys! Good job! Thanks for the report!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Great job, I hated missing this one. Gaston is one of my favorite lakes.
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Consistency is the key to tourney series like FOM, and you & your dad are staying consistent. Congrats on the finish and keep up the good work Mike, I'm confident that it will pay off at the end of the season for you to qualify for the next level.
    </div>

Nice report. Good luck at Kerr.
    Rob
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011