Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my boat

Trolling is pretty simple, locate the fish on your depth finder, observe the depth they are suspending in, put your baits in their face. Use lead core [sinks so many feet per color], weights or heavy jigs, diving boards, or crankbaits to get your baits down to where the fish are. Once you get dialed in duplicate it and have fun. Experiment with different baits and colors to fine tune your presentations.

Jim your view point on trolling is still to use the trolling motor correct - or am I imagining something else?

I've caught just as many out of my 14' BigJon as in my 24' pontoon. I troll live bait most of the time but always have something to throw if the birds are working. I run 6 poles, 2 on planners, to out with ballons, and 2 straight down as close to the bottom as possible using an inline sinker to keep em deep (sinker size depends on troll speed). Good luck

Striper
    Depends on the time of year , how tight the schools are, the depth they are suspending in and how spooky they are. If stripers are scattered use the big motor, cover lots of water, pull big spreads, even employ planner boards to cover more water, usually long straighter runs. If the fish are schooled tight and or shallow, adjust to using a trolling motor, less lines out, enabling tighter turns to keep on the schools and certianly spooking fish less. I troll [with artificial baits] very little anymore. I always use my trolling motor when live bait fishing, even then fish get spooked but they will usually move out from under the boat and hit one of my boards.
    Also as Backlash mentions there have been as many or more fish caught out of smaller metal boats. With his spread he can find out real quick what the fish want and convert over quickly.
    Last edited by Jim Hemby; 02-03-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Really good info.

Thanks Jim.

I am going to sticky this to the top for a while - really good info

I need more rod holders.....
    </div>

I need some holders period i just got finished orbital welding out my 36" tall x54" wide one inch stainles tube railing that will mount in my back pedestal base on my nitro and tie down to the cleats (I will post pictures later). So i am in need of some 1" piviting rod holders if any one has some good suggestions?

let me look at what I can get - have any pics or manufacturers in mind - might could help you out.

Default Stripers setup, whole lots of trouble...

Yep, gona go striper fishing! So I thought.

Even a good start on catching bait which can be more work than the fishing.

Ok, very cool, tank haves baits and its 4AM...
    Oh c@&p never thought keeping baits alive was that hard!

There is more to striper fishing than it first looks.

I have the greatest respect for the guides especially when what looks like it may be easy aint!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast