Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my boat

Default Stripers

redman: you are correct there is allot that goes into striper fishing behind the scene. It takes work to catch bait and keep it alive! I fish for for stripers but 90% of the time with lures. Did you have any luck?

Yep, a little luck.
    Last edited by redman; 09-24-2009 at 08:19 AM.

Good info. Thanks

jim fishman here i would love to learn how to toss a net and where to catch bait????

Quote Originally Posted by fishman View Post
    jim fishman here i would love to learn how to toss a net and where to catch bait????
    Just youtube "how to cast a cast net". Lots of vids demonstrating a variety of techniques. As for bait, use your electronics to find bait balls and throw away.

Hey Fisherman,

Been trying to toss a net for many years and usually have to let my fishing pardner do the task. I just sort the baits as he dumps the net. Yet, I favor the modified Calusa method that doesn't have the lead line in the mouth. Too powerful for really small nets as the net opens with such force that it closes before hitting the water. For me, it takes a near 360 rotation to get er done. So, I tried the shrimp toss that requires huge upper body strength, but will cast an 8 foot net OK. Lately, I've been looking at the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYPUVZYgv3o&app=desktop that is intended for smaller nets with light weight lead lines. Pete D on the forum swears by his new 10 foot! Don't know his toss, but he seems very successful. I keep telling myself I'll learn one day, but rotator cuff tears keep bring me to tears. https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?bl...0;src=postname

Don't know if this helps, but brings back lots of historical aches and pains.

Joy T Brew

I am 100% lures with Striper and thanks to J1M's help and thought process he gave me, I have improved my catch rate 100% over the last 2 years. I like helping so here is exactly what I throw:

1/4 oz Jig with the 3 inch Shad assassin...the one with the green tail work best for me
    Same jig with a NABC Blue or purple Haze swimbait

1 Oz Toothache spoon in Blue Chrome or paint the head with a little Chart.

Daimicki Vault 55 with the one with the Chart head or the one in Yellow Perch
    Andy Blades in all colors

Repo Man Topwater
    Going to look at the Daimcki Top water this year too.

When the stripers play volley ball with your top water, I then go to a Blue/Chrome Broken back redfin.

One thing: Change your trebles on the Redfin and Toothache as they are junk and change your split ring on your redfin with (see Chris Craft at Anna Point Marina) with this as it makes a world of difference.

I have a 17ft Tracker and next year I want to learn the art of trolling with the redfin and some sort of trailer bait.

And Yes Good Electronics are a must. I have X-4's and upgraded to Mark 5's....what a world of difference and you can see through the school of bait fish with the 5 where the X-4 wouldn't. I also use a flasher and if you know how to read and understand...they are better than anything on the market even the 3000.00 ones
    Last edited by Fish With My Kids; 03-05-2014 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Add

[QUOTE=AquiaTracker;77278]I am 100% lures with Striper and thanks to J1M's help and thought process he gave me, I have improved my catch rate 100% over the last 2 years. I like helping so here is exactly what I throw:

Hey AquiaTracker,

Great post and most helpful to a newbee on Lake Anna. To do a charter with Jimwill come, but delayed as I don't have really deep pockets. But do have lots of tackle odds and ends. I guess I can hit Bass Pro or Anna Point(?) and take a gander at some of the baits you mentioned, but it would help me lots if you could post a couple of photos so I can see what works. PM or e-mule would work fine for me. My boat is at High Point waiting for repairs. Might be covered with snow for another week or so. Cabin fever . . .

Joy T Brew

You can see everything I am talking about with the exception of the Andy's Blades at Anna Point Marina. Andy Blades Guys...I can't remember as I bought 8 of them 2 years ago and haven't lost any (yet). Andy are my go to bait when they become really picky as they have a totally different vibration than a Diamicki.... Isn't Andy's handle " Stratos....

Hey do you guys ever use the big motor to find schools of fish then drop trolling motor or do you just pick a area and start with trolling motor. I've found them on my side scan before at 5mph then dropped trolling motor and cast to them but was wondering if I'll see more fish if I search with only my trolling motor thanks for any help

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast