Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: my boat

Default my boat

I have a 17ft. alumacraft jon boat and was looking into start striper fishing on lake anna. what do i need to get started and does anyone else pursue striper on lake anna in a similar boat and any setup ideas they might have. anyone that amy have a smaller boat like me knows you have limited room and if you have been succesful on lake anna with your setup and have tips that might help me in the future I would greatly appreciate it.

Thamkx striper I really appreciate it I know I asked a similar question before but never really got a whole lot of information

I sent it over to Jim hemby - hoping he can provide some insight for you - I wish I could but... I am not great on the lake, now river stripers - thats a different story!

PM me your name and address, I will send some stuff over to you to use on the lake!

I would be happy to help. I need to know a few things first to be able to send you in the right direction. Basically there are three ways to catch Stripers on the lake. Casting artificials, trolling artificial baits and using live bait. Different riggings are needed for each method. For all methods a good Depth Finder is necessary and most important. What kind do you have? Do you have a trolling motor and what kind is it? With these accessories and a few rod holders you can fish all three methods. To troll it would be nice to have 4 rod holders mounted on the boat. Four more rods and reels with the capacity to hold 250 yards of at least 12 pound test with limited tackle and you can be fishing. Two rods and reels will work , 4 doubles your chances to catch fish.Trolling works best in the heat of the summer. You can expect to catch 10 to 20 fish a day using the proper methods.
    The absolute best way that I have found to catch stripers, both numbers and size, is with live bait. I have helped many of my customers get set up in boats like yours and they enjoy extreme success although if you are starting from scratch it can cost some money. For your size boat you will need a Trolling Motor, Depth finder, 6 rod holders, 6 rods and reels, line and terminal tackle. You will also need a 20 or 30 gallon bait tank and a cast net. Rigging is the easy part for bait fishing, then you need to learn how to throw and where to catch bait. Once you have got that down, go wet some lines.
    Let me know what method intrigues you.
    Fishing is only going to get better!
    Jim

Default thankx

I have a eagle 320c depth finder it is compact but it is also a color unit. I have a trolling motor on the front but it is only a 40 lb. thrust so it doesnt really have a lot of speed I do have 4 scott rod holders and a stock livewell at the front of the boat so I guess Im not completely unprepared. but do you have any knowledge of my depth finder and if so do you no if it is any good. I also was wondering what kind of bobbers you all use to keep the bait of the bottom and if you think the trolling motor is enough to troll live bait or if I could use the regular motor. thanks for any information you can give me.

thanks striper for your help and if your willing to give me some information on the river striper I would appreciate it because during the spring that is where ill be is at the river.

More to come in the AM but a few thoughts - the eagle unit is now bad, its made by the same company that manufactures Lowrance so there are some feature similarities I personally have learned over the years that you should buy the best electronics that you can afford - having aid that its only as good as the person reading the unit. Become an expert at reading your unit and then determine if it suits your needs.

I have heard Jim say many times that the trolling motor is critical that the lake stripers are edgy and any motor noise will shut them down quickly so the trolling motor is a must. I run a forty on my 18 footer and while not the fastest in the world I find it gets th job done. I do have a seperate battery for it cause I run it a good bit

More on river stripers tomorrow = off to sleep

You have enough equipment to get started. Your trolling motor is fine, if you need more power than that you are in too much wind and you can't controll the depth of your baits properly. Striper is correct, Depth finder is OK also as long as the transducer works well and you know how to use it. You can skip the bait tank for now, buy large and jumbo minnows and get started. You will catch Stripers on them up until March, then your catch ratios will fall off, the fish will mostly only hit natural bait after March. I use Water Bugz planner boards and a 3" slip bobber run off the back. Also free lines put out about 30 yards behind the boat will work. The boards pull your baits out to the side of the boat which enables you to cover a wide area. I employ a huge spread, I will cover a hundred yard wide area using 5 to 6 boards off each side of the boat in addition to a bobber and a free line out the rear. Basicly if the fish want to eat they will eat me. You can experiment with weights to cover all depths of the water column also. A great site that will help you understand better how the boards work is www.waterbugz.com .

srman thanks for asking the question. Thanks Jim and Striper the info helps alot. I have fish for stripers before on anna and have caught some but not neer the numbers as 10 to 20 a day, mine is more like 1 to 4 a day and I thought I was doing ok.
    I was always using 1/4 to3/8 oz. buck tails and jigging them accross a shallow flatt into a deep drop.
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast