Thread: IRON MAN

Default IRON MAN

Thank you jayt and striper, this was an awesome tournament! It was good to see the vaoers and we had a good time. The only downside was striper did not share any of his combos at lunch time.

FIRST HALF- Backseater and I went to the beach and decided to go shallow when we saw the water coming over the docks at HSM. We started on the dock near the duck blind chucking frogs and buzzbaits. Within ten minutes we have keeper #1 on the buzzzbait. A few minutes later i miss a 3-4# on the buzzbait and backseater throws a senko and catches keeper #2 (2#s). From this point on it was game on, we caught roughly 20 keepers in the first hour and a half. All in a 20'x10' area next to the dock up shallow. You could throw anything except a frog and catch one. I tried the frog and backseater would constantly catch them on plastics. Wrong color frog?? By 8 oclock we had 15#s and decided to leave these fish for the second half. As the tide dropped the fish had moved with the tide. We anticipated at 6 pm the tide would come up and we would duplicate our success. This is the only tournament where you can plan on fishing the same tide twice in one day. We work the deeper grass flipping plastics and throwing white buzzbaits. We caught keepers but they did not help us upgrade. Around 11 ocklock we see jay and striper, they have 2 keepres and a snakehead. I have never caught a snakehead so i ask for some pointers from them. Within 10 minutes backseater catches his first snakehead (10#er) on a buzzbait. We go to weigh in at 12 and we are in second behind Cash. He had 15.3, good work Cash! TeamTin representing!

SECOND HALF- Going out for the second half we had planned to put the hammer down. The tide would be coming in and our spot would produce. WRONG! The tide never came in with the wind pushing out. We threw mostly plastics until we saw jayt and striper around 4 ocklock. I asked what they had caught and with their BEST poker face they had said not much 3 keepers. Then jay pulls out a 7-8# TOAD, caught on a frog. We start throwing buzzbaits and frogs only to pick up 5 keepers for 10#s. We never had a bite on the frog and tried 3 different colors. Backseater did catch 2 more snakeheads on buzzbaits and now is a snakehead master. We thought it was extremely tough the second half but the weights for most of the other teams were up.
    Good job J1M and BIGE. You'll hammered them in the second half. Jayt informed me that he talks to his frogs and sleeps with them at night. If the frog is really good he willl carry it in his pocket at all times. Lessoned learned, I just dont treat my frogs right. See youll at the next one.

Sounds like a fun day hopefully I can catch the next one
    2017 Ironman winner

Good report Ben! You guys did well. Congrats on the fat snakehead too! We only had 1 frog bite all day so it wasn't working for us either.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Good job
    2010 VAO March Madness Overall Winner

You don't want to know where he keeps his frogs if he has no pockets.lo
    Mike c

Good job to all the teams. This is a very very hard Tourny. To hold it together and catch fish is a challenge both physical and mental.

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Nice job out there, sounds like you had a good time.

A friend is a present you give to yourself

It was a fun day on the water. Loved the format and cant wait for another one. Congrats to all that did well!

Thanks for the report Ben.
    You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.

Nice report, great ending and moral to the story, treat your frogs with love....... nice..... Joefroggy
    </div>

You are always a threat wherever you fish Ben. Good job today. I am just glad to get some of my money back from ya after donating to ya at Anna over winter lol. Well done Ben.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper