Thread: VAO Iron Man - a tale of two teams

Default VAO Iron Man - a tale of two teams

Squire and I were hot-n-cold yesterday, hence the title. The key lesson here came from the luxury of being able to stop mid event and rethink, regroup. The tough task is how effective we are in carrying this process/lesson forward, in stride. We'll see . . .

We started off at the beach (w/ everyone else). Had bites right away on a 1- and a soft swimbait. Steve had a gig going w/ the 1- that was as dialed in as I've ever seen. The challenge was only one of the fish stretched enuff to keep. That was our story for the AM session - lotsa bites, just no size to'em. Spinnerbait, 1-, swimbait, and senko accounted for our fish. We had three keeps for 5.5 lbs to show for our work.

In the PM we headed upriver to work main river grass flats. Even with the wind we found a super aggressive frog bite. Took maybe 40 minutes before we had our limit. Probably caught 30 fish out of an area NMT 100'x100'. Cookie cutter 2.5 lb fish. Was fun, just nothing w/ a little more on the shoulders to help us w/ the weight. Patience paid off as we worked our little grass patch. We managed to upgrade a couple times to bring our PM session sack up to 14.20. All but one of our keeps came on the frog. We had (easily) 4 limits of keeps on the frog in the afternoon.

Observations: 1) Edges were/are key. 2) Scattered grass was better than matted grass at times. Then the fish would change up. Point: throw to everything in/around a grass mat. 3) Top water activity was key to our productive areas. When it got quiet, the bite died. When it got noisy, the bite was on.

My lesson for the day was one of patience. I had some blow-ups on the frog early but failed to hook up. I knew that bite was there, but I didn't give myself (or the fish) a chance to make the subtle adjustments needed to get the fish to fully commit. I made those changes in the PM session and had a career day w/ the frog numbers-wise. The balance we're trying to achieve, however, is in managing when/how we change if the bite we want isn't working. Eventually you'll get a fish or two to bite, but for the most part, if the fish don't want your bait/presentation they won't eat. Make the subtle change and it could be the diff between a miss and the fight of a lifetime.

Was great seeing all the doodses. Another great show by Striper and J-bird.

best,
    B

Thanks for the report.
    You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.

Good job turning it around in the second half guys! Was good to see both of you yesterday!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

good job
    2010 VAO March Madness Overall Winner

Way to bounce back guys, thanks for the report and observations.

A friend is a present you give to yourself

Glad you guys were able to figure it out. Great job.

Nice report B. On the other side of the coin, we did not adjust accordingly, and let our stubbornness dictate...and the results showed. Nice adjustment, and congrats on such a banner afternoon!
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneMoreCast View Post
    Nice report B. On the other side of the coin, we did not adjust accordingly, and let our stubbornness dictate...and the results showed. Nice adjustment, and congrats on such a banner afternoon!
    And you still how me 8 bucks for the baby popper! otherwise, the voodo hex I learned from that cajun partner of mine that he got from Marie Lovou will stay on you...hahahaha
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

LeVeaux, just FYI. Anything that sounds like "oh" is spelled 'eaux'. Ewe dummazz. Cain't you spell nuthin' rat?