Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Want my concealed weapon permit, don't have my Hunters Safety Course papers

You can request verification that you've taken the course. I did this a few years ago. If you send in a check, they'll send you the documentation. I can't remember where I got it from, but I discovered it through the VDGIF website. Google it.

I passed the course as a sixth or seventh grader at Rural Point Elementary. They still had record of me passing it after over 20 years.
    Thank God For Rednecks

You can do it online too. You dont need hunter safety course.

Quote Originally Posted by jrover27 View Post
    You can do it online too. You dont need hunter safety course.
    As I understand the law, they by law, cannot require you have had training as that would create a loophole to limit permits...
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Here are the requirements according to the Code of Virginia. If you've taken the Hunter's Safety Course and need a copy of the certificate you can contact the DGIF through their site to get a replacement.

The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

1.Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
    2.Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    3.Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
    4.Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    5.Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
    6.Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
    7.Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
    8.Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
    9.Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

On a side note, as a certified firearms instructor through the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services, I'd thought of teaching a course that would satisfy the requirements for a concealed carry permit (application, certificate and affidavit would be provided). Of course, there would be a fee associated with it. What are your thoughts? Do you folks think it could gain traction?
    2010 VAO Fling Before Spring Overall Winner

2010 LAPR/VAO 150 Series Champion
    Walmart BFL All-American Qualifier

I'd take the course for fun. Charge whatever you think is fair. I need to relearn some weapon handling skills and heat up a tube or 2...been awhile and I was always a long gun type. never really had a use for these small thangs, always shot from my dad's collection though...he had them all at one point..we reloaded every week and hit the range every weekend for years...was great fun...I've done the NRA Safety course years and years ago in California....probably ain't no way they have a record of it lol.....I did it in BC.....Before Computers....
    cheers,
    Steve

Yes sir I went online to state police to see what was required for a concealed permit, there were many but 1 was havingva Virginia hunter safety course. Of course you will still go through a criminal back ground before it is given to you.
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    Yes sir I went online to state police to see what was required for a concealed permit, there were many but 1 was havingva Virginia hunter safety course. Of course you will still go through a criminal back ground before it is given to you.
    Dang it Carl.Background check? Really?....Don't tell anyone from Texas law enforcement you know me.....They'll drag me back to Texas for sure and I'll have to go to friday night High School football games with family again and church on sundays, give up my whoolo, and drive a beatup pickup and root for some Texas College team......I am so guilty of missing so many of my family reunions...its a crime there ya know...
    cheers,
    Steve

The best thing about the Hunter's Safety Course is it is free. The bad thing is, even with the online portion, it is a long course. I didn't know if $50 or so would be worth it for folks for a three hour course rather than the longer government run courses.

Quote Originally Posted by offbelew27 View Post
    The best thing about the Hunter's Safety Course is it is free. The bad thing is, even with the online portion, it is a long course. I didn't know if $50 or so would be worth it for folks for a three hour course rather than the longer government run courses.
    I'd do it just for the fun of shooting, which I assume would be part of your course?
    cheers,
    Steve

Optional part Squire. If you want to do some shooting let me know and we can get together anytime you want....for free :O)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast