Thread: Fuel Issues / Dealer review

Default Fuel Issues / Dealer review

I am disappointed with Coopers Marine lately. I know he has been real busy and he tries to keep the cost down for the customer but sometimes you cannot avoid it. I have turned my boat in to him twice now. The first time was for a starting and idling problem. The second time was for losing power at WOT. It struggles to get from 4000 RPM to 5000 RPM and will not go beyond 5000 RPM. It bucks and surges when I back off and try to cruise at 3800 to 4200 RPM. Mr Cooper had made up his mind that it was a plug issue so all he did pretty much was replace the plugs and sent it out the door. No diagnostic testing at all i.e. fuel pressure test, test firing the injectors, etc. So here is the problem! I know enough that my engine is running lean. If I continued to push it that lean condition would cause a piston to overheat, stick and self destruct = blowing up the engine. Someone who didnít know any better could lose an engine: know what I mean? That was just plain ol sloppy work this go around.

I called Kens in Stafford and talked with him and he seemed like a sharp cookie. But he is swamped with doing winterizations right now plus I bought 7 feet of fuel line from him at 6.00 a foot = 42.00. I could have bought a 25 foot roll for 48.00 from gates. I understand that a dealer has to charge what he has too to stay in business BUT: My fuel problem could take between 6 to 10 hours of labor (100.00 per hour labor) and charging the prices he charges I couldnít afford the parts cost. I estimate that if I went through a dealership it will cost me at a minimum between 2.5 to 3K if not more. Therefore I have decided to do it myself. I will keep all of you informed lol. When itís all said and done it may still cost me 3K or more depending on what I screw up haha. So here is my plan:

1. Replace both low pressure fuel pumps
    2. Repace the VST filter and Mid Range fuel filter
    3. Replace the HPDI mystery filters in the High Pressure Pump
    4. Pull the injectors and have them sent out for cleaning and testing then re-install.

I think that will do it.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

good luck Jim....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Thanks Steve, I will need it lol.

You are a patient man with skills and engine knowledge I believe you can do it good luck.
    2017 Ironman winner

Jim, my engine blew due to a failing vro pump the third time I had it out. Not having the money I decided to buy the parts and rebuild it myself. I ordered a manual, and ordered the parts from dockside marine in ashland. All new pistons, the gaskets kits, carberator rebuild kits, etc.... The one thing I did wrong was not documenting enough before I disassembled it. I would definetly recommend taking pictures from different angles before you begin. I got it apart, and rebuilding the powerhead was actually the easy part. When it came time to bolt back on all the electronics is where I was really in need of some pictures. This is where I ran out of patience. I ended up turning it in to dockside to finish it up for me and they did a great job, and set the timing for me too. The guy ended up offering me a part time job. I still have some of the oddball tools I had to buy to do it. If you run into something you dont have and need, send me a pm, I might have one. I hope all goes well.
    You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.

Ok, so I just read your other post on fuel theory operational duhickey thing. I now believe you will be absolutly fine with your engine adventure. I did it and I have no idea what your post said
    You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.

Its still very good advice. Todays technology with the iphone allows me to take a hundred pictures and have it available at your finger tips. Paint pins with a rainbow of colors to mark hoses and electrical. My problem will be making sure that I have all the gaskets and seals right for the re-assembly. If I do not get that right then I will have to stop and oder them which will take a week to get. Then I will forget where I am at lol. Thanks again for the advice. Its always valuable.