Thread: minn kota hookup

Default minn kota hookup

ok, i have gotten and installed my minnkota trolling motor ,it came with a foot pedal and about 10ft cable for batteryhookup. my batteries are in the rear of the boat, do i extend this cable?? do i get a battery to run the trolling motor from??? what size ?? i have been told a lawn mower battery will do it??? then i also hear i need a car battery for this???

now part two ? i have a 17ft trophy boat, in the rear it has two batteries car type , and a charger. do i extend the cable from the front to the rear and connect to one of those batteries??if so what one?? also their is a charger of some type in the rear that you can choose to run off of one battery or two ?? my understanding is whic ever one u choose that starts the boat and runs any thing that is electronic for the time u are on the water and also gets recharged when large moator is runnibg???

so how do i install this thing?? do i need to take it to someone and have them install it ?? please help really confused?? /gun/

For starters, whats on the end of the 10ft of cable? Is it a plug? Is it hookups to go straight to a battery? Most boats you will have leads coming from the battery in the back and hooking up to a female receptacle in the front. Your trolling motor will then have a male end to plug and unplug the trolling motor in the front. Second, you will need marine batteries. One cranking, and 1 or 2 deep cycle(depending on if your trolling motor is a 12 or 24volt) You want to run your engine and electronics on the cranking and your trolling motor seperate on the deep cycle. You will also need to recharge the trolling battery after each outing. This is the difference in the marine and car batteries. The marines are made to be deeply dischared and recharched for many cycles.
    You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.

Mike is on it - you're missing some cabling. You might wanna go to a boat service center and have the techs hook you up w/ the right stuff. Selling the TM is one thing. Selling the stuff to hook it up is another.

Marine deep cycle batts are a must. There are some solid performing batts out there for a little bit of money. I just replaced my TM batts at Walmart (Everstarts). They were $72 eachie.

short cable from the tm is a red + cable and a black _ cable , they have a round hole for screwing down on battery. what i was saying is thhe cbl is about 12ft to short of my battery bank in the rear of the boat>>>both batts are 12volt deep cycle already, the tm is 12volt also.
    how or what is a safe way to extend cbl ?? and is there a way to run the cable below the floor?? some how>>

Quote Originally Posted by fishman View Post
    short cable from the tm is a red + cable and a black _ cable , they have a round hole for screwing down on battery. what i was saying is thhe cbl is about 12ft to short of my battery bank in the rear of the boat>>>both batts are 12volt deep cycle already, the tm is 12volt also.
    how or what is a safe way to extend cbl ?? and is there a way to run the cable below the floor?? some how>>
    fishman, you will want marine 8gauge wire for a 24v system. Most manufactures install 6 gauge, but my reading say 8 is better. So go to a west marine or somewhere they carry marine gauge (or don't not sure there is a huge benefit with your setup) and buy 25ft or so, enuf to snake it thru your boat from the batteries to the TM.

I can't offer advice on a trophy and how to run the wires. On bass boats, they have some room under the top cap where they run stuff. A bass boat is actually 2 pieces, a hull and a top cap that is screwed together under the rub rail.

if your TM is 12v then lighter gauge is ok...

here is a chart...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...e#.UK-iFXy9KSM
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

If you are going to do it yourself, i fishtape or fishsticks(not the kind you bake in the oven, lol) work well for feeding the wires through your boat. I personally like the fishsticks, they are made of fiberglass, about 4-5ft long each and screw together for additional length. The are an electricians tool and you can find them in that section at any homedepot or lowes. I would do like Squire said and get wire long enough to go from the rear to the front. In the rear you will put on ends to connect and disconnect to the battery. In the front you should install a trolling motor plug as I said earlier. Cut the 10ft of cable the trolling motor came with down to a reasonable lenth to reach the plug. If you dont want to install a plug, I would route the 10 ft through the hull and get it under the console(im assuming it will be long enough to get it there) You can then install a terminal strip to land the wires on. Then just run more wire(bought at store) to the back and put ends on for battery. If you really want to do it yourself but just feel really uneasy Ill gladly help you at no cost, it shouldnt take more than 1-2hours and I already have fishsticks, only catch is you will have to come to me(in mechanicsville)
    You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.