Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the QDM guys between Danville and Clarksville on the south side of VA...

Default For the QDM guys between Danville and Clarksville on the south side of VA...

We are launching a local branch of the QDMA just across the border in NC (roxboro). If you would like some more info, email me (H.R.) at info@bioplots.com. Our first banquet has already sold out before I turned around, but we will be hosting educational events and doing community work throughout the year.

Next years banquet will be at a much larger facility to meet the demand, had no idea we would sell 160 tickets in a week. Good problem to have though!
    Food Plot Services http://www.bioplots.com/

Buy my mineral blends online http://bioplots.com/Mineral_supplement_deer.php

Wow. A club/banquet for baiters. Whooda thunk it?

now, im not too familiar with the food plot vs. baited land rule. But in virginia is it not illegal to have a food plot? the lee district ranger told me that I could not have any type of food/bait on my property, even if it we don't hunt on the land where the food or bait is. I noticed on the bioplot website the pic of the young girl who took a nice 11pt that "came into the food plot". im sure we all could have some sort of an ethical opinion, but is anyone sure of the laws that are written? it seems like you just sit a stand beside the food and wait with your gun. I understand habitat management aspect of it, but is it management or trophy growth when your hunting the plot itself?

the line below is from the biplots website main page, written below a trophy mounted 11pt

"Nickie Johns of Sanford, NC harvested this beautiful 11 pointer to take #1 in the female muzzleloader category at the Dixie Deer Classic. The buck came into a food plot that was produced by Bioplots.

joe gets it - it's baiting by another name. you're conditioning game to come to a specific location by placing (planting, in this case) a food stuff the game selectively feeds on. sorry, but i don't see any diff between this and the gizmo the rat hits to get another biscuit.

haha the maze ending prize

You c'mon, Striper. I haven't said any dirty words nor have I spoken ill of any person (other than to call them cheaters). No diff than what I say about the A-rig and I don't believe you've editted any of those comments. Just sayin' . . .

The only difference between hunting a clover plot or a tree is that the clover plot will benefit the entire herd for 10 months out of the year rather that one month like acorns or persimmons. Food plots and other habitat improvements such as native warm season grass establishment are 100% legal and encouraged for responsible property owners in VA that bother to be good stewards of their land.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/habitat...food-plots.asp

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlif.../plantings.asp

There are those that choose to only take, and those that choose to give back twice they take.
    Food Plot Services http://www.bioplots.com/

Buy my mineral blends online http://bioplots.com/Mineral_supplement_deer.php

legal and encouraged cheating. what about the good stewardship of the game? you are altering their natural forage, and in so doing, altering [possibly] the health of the population as a whole. you could end up feeding the deer population so well that there isn't any shallow end of the gene pool. the herds will explode in numbers, soon outeating anything and everything you plant (along w/ natural forage). whatcha gonna do then? recommend a read for y'all - Origin of the Species, by Charles Darwin.

my jokes about .30-minivan kinda ring true here. under your construct more deer will be killed by cars than by hunters sitting over bait (oops, food plots - sorry). no, I'm not a PETA supporter. when airborne hunted he did it the ol' fashioned way - he studied deer behaviors, including natural (emph added) forage). i was able to harvest deer because i knew a little something about my quarry and my bow/rifle.

I personally don't see anything in those two articles where the VADGIF is 'encouraging' land-owners to plant food plots. Rather, they make it very clear that other forms of land management are far more valuable to the health of the herd and other wildlife as a whole. The only place I feel a hint of encouragement is related to the brood plots that will help a severly diminished quail population rebuild. I think their purpose in those articles is to help people do it right and to do it in a smart way for the betterment of the whole environment and to a certain extent, the safety of the animals - i.e. "Generally, food plots should be irregular in shape (preferably linear) and strategically placed throughout an area to provide diversity and edge. They should not be developed adjacent to major roads or other access routes."

"Planting forage for deer is a popular activity among many hunters and landowners in Virginia. Food plots are valuable for attracting deer, turkeys, rabbits, and other wildlife to specific areas for hunting or viewing, but they do not substitute for management activities that improve habitat over large areas. Timber management, prescribed burning, and other activities that promote young, low plant growth can improve deer health and quality more than food plots. Habitats across your entire property and adjoining lands are like the cake, and food plots are like the icing!"

The article specifically references the food plot as "icing". I don't know of anyone (other than Striper) that considers icing as something required for the health of the individual animal, rather it's considered a 'treat'. So I agree with Brian...the 'treat' that is planted as a food plot is more about altering the natural feeding and behavioral patterns of a herd for us to either hunt or view them, and is less for the health benefit of the animals per the VADGIF articles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast