Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the QDM guys between Danville and Clarksville on the south side of VA...

Far as the good stewardship of game... Quality Deer Management is a management theory that unites landowners, hunters, and managers in a common goal of producing biologically and socially balanced deer herds. Herd numbers have already exploded, but the reason is conventional management theories (shooting bucks, not does). It has nothing to do with an excess food supply. We promote a sustainable herd through adequate (if not aggressive) doe harvest while maintaining a balanced age structure. It's not about baiting, or more deer, or trophy hunting. It is simply about maintaining a healthier herd with a more natural age structure and balanced buck:doe ratios. The mission of the QDMA is “To ensure the future of white-tailed deer, wildlife habitat, and our hunting heritage.”

There is much more to deer management than finding a deer in the woods and killing it.
    Food Plot Services http://www.bioplots.com/

Buy my mineral blends online http://bioplots.com/Mineral_supplement_deer.php

Quote Originally Posted by gnfsnva View Post
    I personally don't see anything in those two articles where the VADGIF is 'encouraging' land-owners to plant food plots. Rather, they make it very clear that other forms of land management are far more valuable to the health of the herd and other wildlife as a whole. The only place I feel a hint of encouragement is related to the brood plots that will help a severly diminished quail population rebuild. I think their purpose in those articles is to help people do it right and to do it in a smart way for the betterment of the whole environment and to a certain extent, the safety of the animals - i.e. "Generally, food plots should be irregular in shape (preferably linear) and strategically placed throughout an area to provide diversity and edge. They should not be developed adjacent to major roads or other access routes."

"Planting forage for deer is a popular activity among many hunters and landowners in Virginia. Food plots are valuable for attracting deer, turkeys, rabbits, and other wildlife to specific areas for hunting or viewing, but they do not substitute for management activities that improve habitat over large areas. Timber management, prescribed burning, and other activities that promote young, low plant growth can improve deer health and quality more than food plots. Habitats across your entire property and adjoining lands are like the cake, and food plots are like the icing!"

The article specifically references the food plot as "icing". I don't know of anyone (other than Striper) that considers icing as something required for the health of the individual animal, rather it's considered a 'treat'. So I agree with Brian...the 'treat' that is planted as a food plot is more about altering the natural feeding and behavioral patterns of a herd for us to either hunt or view them, and is less for the health benefit of the animals per the VADGIF articles.
    I agree there is much more to habitat management than planting food plots. I am a huge supporter of maintaining early successional habitat through logging, burning, hingecutting, and old field management. Food plots are only one aspect of QDM, not even close to the driving force. Herd, habitat, and hunters are the primary factors.

The article mentions 10% as an acceptable amount of land to dedicate to food plots. I actually think that is high. Without any agriculture nearby, 5% is usually adequate. If there is agriculture nearby, as little as 1-2% can help close the gaps.

there is so much more to hunting than planting food that your game will selectively feed on over natural forage

31, if you keep talking like that I'm going to take you off the list of potential sponsors, LOL.

here, you can use my pen

anyone have some popcorn..........

even jokes now a-days encourage "food plotting"--

Thought this was good. Had to share.....

Mark was walking down the street when he was accosted by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless man who asked him for a couple of dollars for dinner.

Mark took out his wallet, extracted ten dollars and asked, "If I give you this money, will you buy some beer with it instead of dinner?"

"No, I had to stop drinking years ago," the homeless man replied.

"Will you use it to go fishing instead of buying food?" Mark asked.

"No, I don't waste time fishing," the homeless man said. "I need to spend all my time trying to stay alive."

"Will you spend this on deer corn to hunt deer instead of food?" Mark asked.

"Are you NUTS!" replied the homeless man. "I haven't hunted in 20 years!"

"Well," said Mark, "I'm not going to give you money. Instead, I'm going to take you home for a shower and a terrific dinner cooked by my wife."

The homeless man was astounded. "Won't your wife be furious with you for doing that???

Mark replied, "That's okay. It's important for her to see what a man looks like after he has given up drinking, fishing and hunting!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12