Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranger Boats 520C and possible sale

Default Ranger Boats 520C and possible sale

SOO

I am looking at the new Ranger 520C. If you all haven't seen any pictures of them I highly recommend looking them up. The best site that I've found is http://www.wired2fish.com/ranger-z52...through-m17578

With that being said, I wanted to know your all opinion on buying a boat brand new, especially a Ranger as they aren't what you would call cheap.

Also, going along with that, if I bought that boat, I would want to sell my current Ranger Com 520 (2000) w/ Merc 225 EFI. and wanted to see if anyone would be interested. The boat is in great shape, I will have to get some pics up here. I just thought I would get a feel before I get to involved in the 520C.

Lastly, if I don't buy the 520C I will be waiting until the 50th anniversary don't ask me why, I don't know, just would like the anniversary edition

Heres my thoughts on this subject because I keep going back and forth with the new boat thing.. Fully loaded out the new 520C is honestly right around $70k.... When you really break down what your getting for $70k it's a super rip off.

Mercury 250 pro xs. $15,500.00 http://www.jacosmarine.com/
    36v ForetrexTM $1000.00
    Qty 2 1198 HB's $4500.00
    Bob's 12" Jack plate $1200.00
    Qty 2 Power Poles $3500.00

You mean to honestly tell me that the carpet, fiberglass, batteries, and trailer are worth $45-50k???? Not in my eyes at all. I've been pricing up saltwater CC's, and you get wwwwaaaayyyyyyy more bigger and plusher boat for way less. 1/2 the CC's I'm pricing come with better trailers, stereos, even freaking toilets..

I'm a big fan of a quality boat. I think rangers are just that, high quality, however I think they are extremely over priced for a brand new boat. If I was dead set on getting a new boat, I would wait until next September and get a demo version of what you are looking for which usually come with all new warranties anyways, and from what I witnessed this fall when I was seriously thinking about it go for about $45k. But this is just my brain thinking about this considering my wallet and my plans for early retirement. No way I would buy a 20' bass boat at $70k, especially boats that are reported to have serious hull blisters, crappy trailers (my buddies just came back from ranger factory getting replaced). I think they have just gotten way to out of sight for what they are, especially when your paying for all of the FLW crap.

Either way, happy hunting.

I forgot to mention the path I decided to take for the immediate future:

new carpet installed by myself on a weekend giving me an excuse to consume a lot of frosty beverages with my buddy - $500 + $50 for good beer

new all metal southco compartment locks - $300 for the boats set

plus some other minor things.

So for $1k +/- I get a newer rig, and what does it do differently then the a new one? nadda

That is actually a very good way to break it down, I appreciate the thought. I will have to think about that.Is

One other thing to mention that keeps me from buying a new rig. In 5yrs that $70k rig will be worth $35k or less.... crazy depreciation.

Sooo... with that being said lets say you fish 25 times year, so 125 trips in 5yrs. Thats roughly $280 trip not to include the other expenses like tolls, ramp fee's and gas..... And thats IF you fish 25 times a year, and I would be willing to bet that 75% of people dont fish that much. It costs me ATLEAST $100 a trip in fuel between the truck and boat..... so now it's getting crazy expensive.

My figures might be off in either direction, but when you think about it, that 520 in your photos which I would assume is paid off, sure does look good to me :-)

I'm with EJP. I would do a little refurb and keep that boat.
    Kirk

that 520C is sure nice though....

O yes it is. I looked at one at Mare... However after much deliberation, I think for the time being that I am going to simple buy a used optimax motor and put it on there. I found one at a great price. I figure that should allow me to save for my true goal of the 50th anniversary edition. : )

Just for poops and grins I looked at various for sale ad's at some other sites... Plenty of 2012 520's and 521's decked out to the max for low to mid 50's with full warranties... Whole lots of cheddar to be saved over new and you still get the same warranty package, maybe 6-9months less motor warranty.

I think the problem with Ranger, in all honesty, is way to many pro staff deals are made which makes the initial boat price high because of those deals plus all of the contigency programs. I imagine it's not cheap to have your name plastered all over every FLW/Everstart/BFL event, and then all those fancy schmancy commercials. Someone has to pay for it!

Eric

I am not sure on the cost pass on for pro staff. I know there are various levels of sponsorship by Ranger...but even if the boat is a memo boat, the boat gets sold after a year and I would imagine at a profit as well. I read that all say pro staff costs them money.....if pro deals (any kind) was a loosing proposition then I would think that would fall out of the business model. Why keep something on the books that is a negative? Somewhere there has to be a positive for them to keep a plan. I know, they pass the costs on in other ways or use it to offset and show a loss for taxes??

I do know that Ranger (and others) have changed up the PS deals in the recent past.....maybe that is the way it is. Most PS folks will not talk about the deal openly..and rightly so.

Moridin. Mare at Aquia or MD? I have yet to see a new C boat in person and I owe a visit to Mare of Aquia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast