Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 997 c2

offbelew27, the reason I replied to this post was to contradict your statement "Keep in mind that to get more detail you'll need to be going 3-5mph - hard to do with TM only"

That is a false statement no matter who makes it and is clealy shown in the images I posted (look at the speed readout) as well as several of the images I posted on another thread.
    Of course Imaging does take movement, BUT you are not restricted to a speed range to get sharp images like with Lowrance Structure Scan.
    Humminbird Side Imaging has adjustable screen scroll speed and Lowrance Structure Scan does not.

Honestly for the SI the best place to go is www.sideimagingsoft.com Great site, and all about humminbird SI. Personally, I have two choices I would make. 1)Networked units on bow and console, with transducer switch so that I can use a ducer on the TM and on the transom. 2) Just one unit on the console, but still have the transducer switch so that I can get images from either method of fishing.

That being said, I like to scan an area with my gas motor, and then switch to TM, having SI available for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    Honestly for the SI the best place to go is www.sideimagingsoft.com Great site, and all about humminbird SI. Personally, I have two choices I would make. 1)Networked units on bow and console, with transducer switch so that I can use a ducer on the TM and on the transom. 2) Just one unit on the console, but still have the transducer switch so that I can get images from either method of fishing.

That being said, I like to scan an area with my gas motor, and then switch to TM, having SI available for both.
    Actually the Forums on Bass Boat Central are the best for discussing sonar technologies. There are separate forums for Humminbird and Lowrance and the site usage is a lot higher than any other sites I have seen. I am familiar with the sideimagingsoft site, unofficial Side Imaging forums, the Side Imaging Group on Yahoo and individual topics on several sites like this.

I use three Humminbird Side Imaging units on my boat.

BBC does have great info on SI, this is true. It also helps that Doug V is on there The point I was making, I guess, was that this forum probably isn't the best for SI issues, as Im sure you'd agree. But everything else is great info!

Wayne, what made you go with Humminbird rather than Lowrance? Im just curious. I like to know why the more experienced anglers choose what they choose. I have seen some really nice shots from both units.

BBC does have great info on SI, this is true. It also helps that Doug V is on there The point I was making, I guess, was that this forum probably isn't the best for SI issues, as Im sure you'd agree. But everything else is great info!

Wayne, what made you go with Humminbird rather than Lowrance? Im just curious. I like to know why the more experienced anglers choose what they choose. I have seen some really nice shots from both units.
    Good question and I'm glad you asked. It is quite simple.
    I checked all the capabilities of both companies when I decided I wanted the imaging technology.
    My purpose to be on the water is for fishing. I wanted a fishing tool more than I wanted just a search tool.
    With Side Imaging I get both due to the adjustabilty and its shallow water capability.

I use Side Imaging all the time at the console and at the bow. I seach as I navigate with the outboard and I search as I fish when at the bow. I basically "sight fish" all the time since I can see what is away from under the boat as long as the transducer is not buried in the lake bottom. If the water is muddy during the spawing period, it makes no difference, I can see the fish on the beds with SI and cast to them just like I would if I could visually see them.
    I rarely even use 2D sonar any more, except for vertical presentations when I want to see my presentation, since SI shows me the water column under the boat and what is away from under the boat to the range I have SI set to.

I can be motionless and get usable fishing images, even keep up with schooling bass as they move about without surfacing-all it have to do is turn the trolling motor to see were they are.

These images show where I was checking a spawning flat next to a dollar pad field (light area) with my bow unit and trolling motor mountd SI transducer. The water was muddy so I could not see the pad stems--the pads had not formed yet so all of it was submerged. I was looking for early spawners. You can see some of the beds from previous years and there are two grooves in the bottom from some one's outboard (top right). Note the depth and the SI range I was using.

This is the edge just before the above image.

Structure Scan does a great job as a search tool. Just not what I wanted to limit myself to.

So you like the capability that H-bird has in shallow water? I have heard that the L doesnt have such great images in shallow water. I was just curious. I have an 898 and love it. But I have to say, I still do like to use my 2d sonar (for 10ft. plus.) A mixture of my chart, 2d and SI have created the perfect fishing tool for me.

So you like the capability that H-bird has in shallow water? I have heard that the L doesnt have such great images in shallow water. I was just curious. I have an 898 and love it. But I have to say, I still do like to use my 2d sonar (for 10ft. plus.) A mixture of my chart, 2d and SI have created the perfect fishing tool for me.
    I like the adjustability for trolling motor use more than the shallow water capability, but together it is a great fishing tool.

The capability to add this view is another plus:

Now that's an interesting view, Wayne. An old building? Maybe a foundation?

360 is cool
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    Now that's an interesting view, Wayne. An old building? Maybe a foundation?
    Yes it is. This is a Side Imaging view of it:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast