Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 997 c2

Default 997 c2

I just bought a 997 SI. Am I right in reading that there are 2 different types of transducors? one for the back and one for the trolling motor? I had planned on putting it on my trolling motor but i'm thinking now i'll just put it on the back.
    I'm about to play my Ace

if you're mounting your unit up front, put the 'ducer on the TM. if it'a gonna be a console mount, put it on the rear. should be the same 'ducer either way.

Thanks airborne...I'm thinking about putting it up front because 90% of my fishin is on trolling motor only lakes
    I'm about to play my Ace

I have a 997 on the front of my boat (but a 1198 on console). Keep in mind that to get more detail you'll need to be going 3-5mph - hard to do with TM only. It is the same transducer either way. When I only had one SI unit, I had it on the console. This way I could search water in great detail using the gas motor, mark areas of interest and throw out a marker bouy to fish 'em if needed.
    Another thing to consider is the GPS mount. If you mount your GPS puck towards the back of the boat and the graph at the front you'll by default be off your grid by that distance.
    2010 VAO Fling Before Spring Overall Winner

2010 LAPR/VAO 150 Series Champion
    Walmart BFL All-American Qualifier

Quote Originally Posted by offbelew27 View Post
    I have a 997 on the front of my boat (but a 1198 on console). Keep in mind that to get more detail you'll need to be going 3-5mph - hard to do with TM only. It is the same transducer either way. When I only had one SI unit, I had it on the console. This way I could search water in great detail using the gas motor, mark areas of interest and throw out a marker bouy to fish 'em if needed.
    Another thing to consider is the GPS mount. If you mount your GPS puck towards the back of the boat and the graph at the front you'll by default be off your grid by that distance.
    The speed statement is NOT true with Humminbirds, that is a Lowrance Structure Scan deficiency.
    I get good sharp images close to 0 speed and use the SI view on the trolling motor all the time.
    The slower you go, the more detailed the images will be.

You may want to spend some time learning how to operate your units a little better.

Wayne,
    Forgive me if I somehow insulted you with my post that caused your snide reply. I was referring to SI, not 2D or DI- perhaps I should've been more clear in my response. And yes, I do use SI when sitting still using the 'ducer on the TM, but you hardly get detail as it requires relative motion for an optimal display. Lastly, in reply to your remarks, I have spent a good deal of time with my units and think I know them pretty well. But, I also understand I'm just an average Joe....so take the word of these folks at Humminbird or the fisherman on their payroll. I'm certain they know better than the both of us.

Tim Horton- Elite Series Pro
    Getting that speed right is a really big deal," says Horton, who idles between 3.5 to 5 miles per hour while side scanning. "The boat has to be moving at a certain speed for it to work best. If you're idling too fast, it'll miss (details), and if you're idling too slow you're getting the same cut or image over and over."

Humminbird Pro-Staffer Doug Vahrenberg

"Matching scroll speed to boat speed is the first step to providing crisp, clean images that are free of distortion. Keep your boat speed between 3-5mph and match your chart speed to this".

From Hummingbird.com Support FAQ.

Does the boat have to be moving for the Side Imaging sonar to work?

Yes. The Side Imaging sonar works much like a MRI. The beams are laser thin and as they move past an object they take 100’s of thin slices of the object and compile them into a high-detailed image of the object. If the boat is sitting still the beams will continue to take thin slices of the same spot and continue to show the slice of this spot continuously.

The fact that the boat has to be moving for SI to work is the reason why Humminbird developed 360 imaging- so the boat can be perfectly still and still get detailed, picture like images (and of course expanding the view around the boat). So, instead of requiring the boat to move they engineered the transducer to spin to create the motion. Again, don't take my word for it....

Jeff Kolodzinski, brand manager, Humminbird. “Also, for the first time ever, an angler can have their boat in a stationary position and receive updated underwater images...”

PSUHunter- The 2D and DI will work fine on the TM, but you'll weaken the ability to do what this unit is designed for...side scanning. The reason I suggest the console is so that you can cover large amounts of water searching for fish, contours, structure, bait etc....this efficiency is the beauty of side scan. If you're only wanting the downscan and 2D you can get than in a much cheaper unit.

I am referring to SI, that is the same imaging as the SI in the picture I posted. Same crystals, and same frequencies.
    I just posted that image to show the difference in how DI shows what 2D does of the same subject.

Doug and I have posted many trolling motor screen shots on BBC and so have a lot of others. Doug has stated numerous times of his preference for using Side Imaging at the bow.
    Along with that to use a screen scroll speed to closely match the GPS speed.

How about this just Side Imaging screen shot:

Another thing is when fishing, a whole screen of sharp image is useless just as it is with traditinal sonar. Only the very first row of sceen pixels is current data, all after that on the display is history. It something is not constantly being display on that first row of pixels, it is not in the coverage of the sonar pulse.

When sitting still fishing schooling bass, you can just turn the motor and keep up with the bass's position to you can cast where they are.
    I saved this screen shot doing just that. I saw these bass at the school of shad and in the upper part of the view you can see the bass (white streaks with their shadows) as I was turning the trolling motor to see where they were.
    Doug asked me to post the image on BBC so that technique could be discussed with additional similar images added.

Quote Originally Posted by offbelew27 View Post
    Wayne,
    Forgive me if I somehow insulted you with my post that caused your snide reply. I was referring to SI, not 2D or DI- perhaps I should've been more clear in my response. And yes, I do use SI when sitting still using the 'ducer on the TM, but you hardly get detail as it requires relative motion for an optimal display. Lastly, in reply to your remarks, I have spent a good deal of time with my units and think I know them pretty well. But, I also understand I'm just an average Joe....so take the word of these folks at Humminbird or the fisherman on their payroll. I'm certain they know better than the both of us.

Tim Horton- Elite Series Pro
    Getting that speed right is a really big deal," says Horton, who idles between 3.5 to 5 miles per hour while side scanning. "The boat has to be moving at a certain speed for it to work best. If you're idling too fast, it'll miss (details), and if you're idling too slow you're getting the same cut or image over and over."

Humminbird Pro-Staffer Doug Vahrenberg

"Matching scroll speed to boat speed is the first step to providing crisp, clean images that are free of distortion. Keep your boat speed between 3-5mph and match your chart speed to this".

From Hummingbird.com Support FAQ.

Does the boat have to be moving for the Side Imaging sonar to work?

Yes. The Side Imaging sonar works much like a MRI. The beams are laser thin and as they move past an object they take 100’s of thin slices of the object and compile them into a high-detailed image of the object. If the boat is sitting still the beams will continue to take thin slices of the same spot and continue to show the slice of this spot continuously.

The fact that the boat has to be moving for SI to work is the reason why Humminbird developed 360 imaging- so the boat can be perfectly still and still get detailed, picture like images (and of course expanding the view around the boat). So, instead of requiring the boat to move they engineered the transducer to spin to create the motion. Again, don't take my word for it....

Jeff Kolodzinski, brand manager, Humminbird. “Also, for the first time ever, an angler can have their boat in a stationary position and receive updated underwater images...”

PSUHunter- The 2D and DI will work fine on the TM, but you'll weaken the ability to do what this unit is designed for...side scanning. The reason I suggest the console is so that you can cover large amounts of water searching for fish, contours, structure, bait etc....this efficiency is the beauty of side scan. If you're only wanting the downscan and 2D you can get than in a much cheaper unit.

You want to use Doug as a reference for your statement, I will too. Look at this video he did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vT8nArMGwPA

He has frequenty stated if he could only have one SI unit, it would be on the trolling motor.

That is fair and I'm not saying SI has no use on the TM. Again, I have one on my TM and use it everytime out. I've had the same instances as you've mentioned and pictured above (2nd pic, as the first image was NOT generated with the boat sitting perfectly still). It is a benefit for sure. The image you posted above is a great example of how it can be used at the TM. But it also proves my point that the images are distorted, pixelated and not as crisp as they would be if the boat were in motion.

I have HB SI's on front and back, networked. I have been in Lowrance boats and their sidscan is better at higher speeds. It is all a software / processer choice by the vendor. The best images of course come from when you have the speed and scroll rate and settings right for the depth etc. i think Waynes point is and one I agree with is that once you realize a signal is always going out and pixels displayed on the screen, with the right interpretation, it can provide extremely valuable information even at zero speed. I swing the TM left and right to try and use the SI as a look ahead device for example. I have the 360 on order but have made do. You can also tilt the transducer forward to look ahead and just mentally compensate. You don't need a perfect, clear image to be clued in if you can mentally interpret the feedback...to be honest, knowing Mark, he knows this too, was just making another point....

great images...,i will start posting some soon as well.

cheers
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast