Thread: Evinrude 35 Jet - BLOWN UP Need reputable mechanic.

Default Evinrude 35 Jet - BLOWN UP Need reputable mechanic.

I have a 17' G3 aluminum with an Evinrude 35 on it I use in the New River. I have zero compression on one of the cylinders, it's fried. I need somebody to do a rebuild on it for me. Anybody know a good Evinrude man anywhere here in Va?

What happened? Two or four stroke? Where are you located? Who and how did you determine low or no compression? I might be able to help you and what year engine is it

The boat is a 97, so I'm assuming the engine is the same or very close. I took it to a local marina due to poor performance and they let me know it has no compression. It's a two stroke. I'm in Floyd County but don't mind transporting the boat to whereever I can get it fixed reasonably and well.

Sounds like head gasket they blow between the two cylinders if you have small tools and any mechanical ability you can fix remove the water lines on the head and remove the bolts I think there is about 6 or 8 bolts and remove head plate to expose the head gasket clean with a razor blade and reinstall it takes about a half hour for some one with minimal ability the parts can be ordered on line very cheap and I'd replace the thermostat while you r there it's very easy to do. You can find torque specs on line as well. Floyd is a hoof away from fredricksburg if you have trouble pm me we can hook up ill help you I've done these before in fact the first two stroke outboard I ever worked on was this exact engine with the same problem I did a comp. test then borescoped engine and found blown gasket between cylinders it's about a 1/4 thick piece that blows out, it probably is like zero throttle response and impossible to get on plane well good luck and if you have problem pm me ill help any one on vao.

My mechanical ability is limited. I'm kind of an oil change, starter, alternator type guy.

That's all you need send me pic of your engine and I can walk you through it send to sh092698@gmail.com

I'm at Gaston fishing for the next few days, I'll touch base in a few.

Take it to Sturgeon Creek Marina, they have an Evinrude Mechanic there, he fixed my buddy's jet that was running hot and wouldn't start, directed there by Chris Craft. If you just want it fixed with no hassle they are your guy's!

Charley - Watson's Marine (Bluff City, TN) is about 2 hrs away but worth the trip. Their 'Rude guy is superb.