Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunk boards and carpet

Default Bunk boards and carpet

I am gonna have to break down and at least replace my carpet on the trailer bunk boards and maybe even the boards themselves this year. I know some of you have done this. Questions...
    1) What weight carpet do you use? I've heard every thing from 6 oz. up to 24 oz.
    a) Where did you get it?
    2) To glue or not to glue carpet to at least the top of the bunk?
    3) Stainless steel staples?
    4) I assume pressure treated lumber?

Any other helpful hints appreciated. Thanks
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

I did all of mine about a year and a half ago. Yes, pressure treated lumber, yes to stainless staples. Get the longest staples you can buy, and if your gun doesn't get them in, just tap down with a hammer. I got my carpet on the internet. I'll send you some info on it if I still have it in my emails. As for the weight, I think the heavier the better, but the heavier it is the harder it is to work with. At least double up the layers at the very end of the boards. I already have a spot thats worn thru from that initial contact with the hull.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Just did the Triton trailer a cpl weeks ago. Got it from cabelas. Its made just for bunk boards. I used regular staples and ss trim nails. No glue. I wrapped the ends around long enough so they lay on the brackets and the lags go through them. I left two lags in each old one ...dumped z in at high pt had a cordless drill to pilot drill and one with a socket on it. Yanked the old ones in the parking lot laid the news on and put two lags back in each one and finished it when we got home after fishing. Bought an extra roll to do the inner fenders but haven't done them yet. I think its 12" * 12'. I'm happy with it and it had good reviews. Price was right.

CHUCK n DUCK

i did mine a couple of years ago i got the carpet from lowes. treated lumber and ss staples instead of lag screws i used bolts. the reason i used bolts was the bunk came floating off one day as i was getting ready to load the boat. i had to get a rod out and hook the bunk to get it back. then i laid it back on the trailer and secured the bunk to the trailer with cable ties it worked to get it home.

Larry - I used glue and SS staples (the long ones Erik mentioned). I also used bolts (countersunk) ILO lag screws (a la bigcattracker). Carpet was a lighter weight (prob 6 oz). Pressure treated timber.

Larry, I believe BPS in Hanover has bunk carpet on the shelves, might pay a little more for convenience over bulk carpet since its pre-cut.
    I second the long SS staples and I also used the 3M spray glue on the topsides of mine, just to help keep the carpet from squirming and putting extra pressure on the staples, I've seen people use the little nails with a larger plastic washer under the head, along with the staples, b/c the staples can pull trough fairly easily.
    </div>

Larry,
    I did my trailer last year. The brackets holding my bunks on rusted through and one of the bunks broke off. I got the carpet from Bass Pro in Hanover. It was made for bunks. My trailer had 2x6 boards. If I remember the carpet was not wide enough to cover the entire bottom of the bunk. I used SS bolts and countersunk the heads. I did not glue because I thought it would not let air get to the top of the wood and hold the water longer.
    Kirk

I was under my trailer today, measuring and looking at what is needed......as I am getting closer to doing this. The brackets are welded onto the frame and are in pretty good shape except for some surface rust around the bolt holes and where the flat piece of bracket meets the board. That said, to slow down the rust problem and prevent it from occurring any further, I plan on wire brushing, grinding off the rust on those brackets before installing new bolts, boards and bunk carpet. Question.....I think I saw somewhere that they sell a corrosion inhibitor marine primer or paint that I hope to use if I can find it......any idea what it is?
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

I used Rust-Oleum marine primer on my trailer back when I did mine. Lowes carried it. Might be a good idea to use Plastic Dip on those brackets to. I have plenty 20oz carpet for your bunks. Welcome to it. Its "plantium" color. If you doing it at the lake let me know, I'll give ya hand
    Crank That Jank!

I used a galvanized paint on my brackets. It was in a spray can. I was skeptical but they haven't rusted yet.
    Kirk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast