Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bunk boards and carpet

Yes to all, question 1 go some what heavy, hard to wrap around boards but holds up better. Reason I'll be doing mine again soon. Where to get it. You can get it at BPS ordering on line or at home depot or Lowes they have less color selection though, think it was green blue or grey. I did glue and used 1/2" stainless steel omg expensive staples.
    2017 Ironman winner

Things I learned the hard way: counter sinking bolts sounds good but what happens latter when the bolts loosen up? When you try to re tighten them the head spins and unless you can get a socket on it you can't tighten it? I use a standard lag bolt and apply liquid nails to the threads when I insert them. That's was a good compromise for me. I use brass staples and seems to work ok so far. The bunk boards need to be cut to manufactures specs. If it's not exact you will wear holes in that new carpet pretty quick. The boards need to be exact and placement must be exact. This is a biggie. I glue and staple. Learned that the hard way too.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

I forgot two things. I ordered the carpet from bass cat. It was pre cut and affordable. I used A floor jack and a
    Block of wood to jack up one side of the boat. Remove the old bunks and insert the new. Once I have the bunk positioned in its proper place I lower the boat and that keeps the bunks tight when I insert the lag bolts.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

If you are replacing the bunk boards, do some research on pressure treated lumber. Not all treated lumber is the same. Here is a link that explains
    some of the differences (http://www.strongtie.com/productuse/ptwoodfaqs.html). There are different levels of treatment in CA and ACQ, and they are highly corrosive, stainless fasteners are recommended in a damp environment. CCA is the best but was basically discontinued a few years
    ago because it contains arsenic. I can still get cca 2x6's, if you are interested let me know.

Larry - you may want to give this a look as well. It may cost a bit more, but could be worth it in the long run for as much as you are on/off your trailer.

http://www.bbcboards.net/phoenix-boa...nt-carpet.html

I used Locktite extend rust neutralizer on some rusty spots on my trailer. There are other brands. Supposed to bond with the rust creating a primer to paint over. Says on the can it won't work on bare metal, has to have some rust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12