Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building the Perfect Kit

Default Building the Perfect Kit

Alright let's say you're going out fishing for your favorite fish this weekend. It could be bass, catfish, bluegills, crappie, ect. If you had to build a kit for a weekend adventure with between 10-15 lures what would you choose?
    You already have swivels, weights and hooks (although you can narrow down weight and hook size if you want).

I'll start off with a bass kit kit. All of these lures I've either owned and lost or currently own so I'm speaking from personal experience:

1) Tiny Torpedo/Baby Torpedo.
    When it's time for top water this is my first choice... if there isn't a lot of vegetation of course. I love the sound the prop makes and if you choose to burn it it makes one heck of a show. I use the Tiny and baby torpedoes vs. the Teeny and Magnum Torpedoes. I guess I've just had the most luck on those two.

2) Zara Spook.
    Even though you're looking at a big lure here you'll be surprised at how many of the smaller bass will go after these. The one I have in my box is made to mock a rainbow trout and I haven't had much luck with it. The green/black/white ones are the bees knees and I've had the best luck with them. For a smaller version use the Zara Puppy.

3) Surface Popper
    Can't ever go wrong with a good popper. I love the different actions you can get by snapping your rod in different directions. This is one of the most well known bass lures and has worked for generations. If you're going out for bass this is a must have. I've had the best luck early to mid season when the water has just finished warming up. 'Use this lure early in the morning before the sun gets too hot.

4) Daredevle spoon
    Get the black and white ones if you can still find them! I haven't seen these colors on the shelves in years, just the red and white spoons. If you can find them buy a few! They're killer for pickerel and not too bad on bass either. The black and white color is rare from what I've seen and they work wonders. If you can't find the black and white ones order 2 or 3 online. They get hung up on fallen trees and branches very easily so I like to burn these lures. Warmer water in mid season is the time to use these suckers. I've had luck in the morning, afternoon, and night time. I've used them mostly in muddy/dirty colored water. This is the one lure I would like to hear feedback about. Let me know what you guys find a difference in the colors like I did. I usually burn the lure and I've had great luck with it. If you fish it differently let me know and I'll try it out.

5) Jointed Diver
    The diving depth depends on where you're fishing at. The action that you get from the hinge in the middle is great. Drives bass crazy.

6) Spinnerbait
    I would choose a spinnerbait 9 times out of 10 over a buzzbait because of the variety of ways you can fish it. You can fish fast and shallow, deep and slow, you can burn it or even do a slow roll or "wake the bait". Hell I've even use them to jig and had luck with it. I like using these on a medium heavy rod with 6-8 lb test. The heavy rod lets you get the most out of the spinner action and you can wake the bait with just a light twitch of the rod.

7) Rooster Tails
    When all else fails use a rooster tail! I've caught more bass on these little suckers than almost anything in my box. The only down side to these is the light weight and treble hook. Although they will hook fish with the certainty that a single hook can't you will pick up every bit of grass and debris on the way in if you don't use it at the right time. That is a lesson learned only by trial and error. My favorite and "go-to" lure.

8) Crawdad bomber
    Another great lure to use on a medium heavy rod. Get the bombers with the extra long spoon on the front and use it to hit the rocky bottom. I've looked at some underwater footage of these lures and when bumped along a rocky bottom it imitates a crawdad looking for food under rocks. The hard plastic makes a nice clicking sound when it hits a rock which can draw a lot of attention from a hungry predator.

9) Hula Popper
    The ultimate bass assassin. I use the frog imitation in either green or tan. A lot like the X-Rap Popper or the Rebel Pop-R. The difference is the tail end and how fat the lure is. The traditional popper is narrow with a small mouth and has a feather-like tail. The hula popper has a fat body, the mouth is 3x the size of the traditional popper, and has a hula skirt made of plastic. The skirt moves around in the water quite well for being plastic and does not clump together. The skirt does have to be replaced over time, I replace mine every season, but they are cheap and easy to find.

10) Bass Assassin Rubber worms
    I'll throw these bad boys on a California style rig with a bullet weight or put a split shot 2-3 inches above the eye of the hook. Using the California style rig makes it weedless and wont catch on any trees or branches that you will find while crawling on the bottom of a lake or river. I use the bullet weight or split shot over a weighted jig head because it allows the worm to move more freely from the weight. This comes in handy when crawling over an old underwater tree. The bullet weight will climb up the tree while staying on the worm and then fall down once you reach the top of the tree. This leaves you some time to give the worm some extra action and take advantage of the spiral tail.

11) Diver
    A diver is a must have in any bass kit. You can pick whatever diver you want depending on water conditions. Depth, water temperature, water color, and vegetation all play a role in which diver you want to choose.

That's my kit for bass. Let me know what you guys think and give me any suggestions you might have. I'm always game to learn new techniques and I like hearing constructive criticism. Let's hear what you guys/girls use!

Any takers? You don't have to write a novel like I did, that was just a good topic starter.

I would just add a panther martin classic. Fish in the shenandoah rivers seem to love them.
    http://www.panthermartin.com/Lures/s...MCB&dcolor=CBK

You include 3 top water baits on your list but don't have a jig on it. Don't think there's a more versatile bait out there than that. You have plastic worm on the list but not a creature bait of some kind. I suppose some might consider a jointed diver a jerkbait. Others would not. I'd most certainly include a suspending jerkbait on my list. Think I'd replace rooster tail w/ chatter bait. I'd include a rattle bait in lieu of one of the top water choices. All that said, my basic kit would look something like this for bass:

jig, crankbait (shallow, medium, and deep runners), spinnerbait, chatter bait, rattle bait, spook, plastic worm, plastic critter bait, suspending jerkbait, blade (silver buddy type)
    Last edited by 31Airborne; 04-09-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Oh, I'll bite.....

Assumptions: 1 kit, any river, lake, pond or stream, any season.

1) Jig: you can fish them at any depth on any structure...Swim them, hop them, crawl them.
    2) Crankbait: Bomber BD5 and a BD6 in Citris Shad
    3) Spro popping frog green tree frog
    4) shakey head with trick worm watermelon seed
    5) Blade baits (Andy's)
    6) soft plastic fluke in white
    7) Megabass iTo 110 in French Pearl
    8) Bevy Shad in Ghost Minnow
    9) Spinnerbait
    10) Arig with 4 inch swimbaits
    11) buzzbait
    12) Chatterbait
    13) Scrounger head
    14) softplastic lizard
    15) softplastic craw

Arig may surprise people, but the damn thing works year around and just about everywhere and catches big fish.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Why is this in the Lure building, Tackle Craft, and Lure modifications section? shouldn't it be moved to General as it has nothing to do with the aforementioned.
    Steve Sekula
    "Sempr"

I would throw in some silent crankbaits. You need a jig and pig. Any type of worm bait is good. Spinnerbait. That's pretty much what I fish. I started fishng Senkos last fall and will try some hard plastic jerkbaits this weekend. From what I hear, they are the bomb nowadays and fishing staples always seems to help. Put a Super Fluke in there too. For topwater -Rebel Pop R and a buzzbait.

I would just keep it at that. I find when I start trying too many different lures, I get more frustrated and bored.
    Thank God For Rednecks

Ill take a rapala and any where but Anna. We are having a disagreement right now. She is always right though....hmmm sounds like my wife.

CHUCK n DUCK

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    You include 3 top water baits on your list but don't have a jig on it. Don't think there's a more versatile bait out there than that. You have plastic worm on the list but not a creature bait of some kind. I suppose some might consider a jointed diver a jerkbait. Others would not. I'd most certainly include a suspending jerkbait on my list. Think I'd replace rooster tail w/ chatter bait. I'd include a rattle bait in lieu of one of the top water choices. All that said, my basic kit would look something like this for bass:

jig, crankbait (shallow, medium, and deep runners), spinnerbait, chatter bait, rattle bait, spook, plastic worm, plastic critter bait, suspending jerkbait, blade (silver buddy type)
    What can I say I like to fish top water. I have a few jigs in my kit but I'll be the first to admit I'm not all that great with them. I guess I just haven't practiced enough with them and I've had enough luck without them.

What types of creatures would you recommend to go with the plastics?

So what I'm getting out of this, correct me if I'm wrong, is that you think I may have too many top water choices over say a jig or some mid water lures? In hindsight I do agree I have too many top water lures, now the question is what do I need to start using more. Jigging is definitely one of those things. I think I'll look up a few more lures that you mentioned and see what I can pick up this weekend before I go out.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    Oh, I'll bite.....

Assumptions: 1 kit, any river, lake, pond or stream, any season.

1) Jig: you can fish them at any depth on any structure...Swim them, hop them, crawl them.
    2) Crankbait: Bomber BD5 and a BD6 in Citris Shad
    3) Spro popping frog green tree frog
    4) shakey head with trick worm watermelon seed
    5) Blade baits (Andy's)
    6) soft plastic fluke in white
    7) Megabass iTo 110 in French Pearl
    8) Bevy Shad in Ghost Minnow
    9) Spinnerbait
    10) Arig with 4 inch swimbaits
    11) buzzbait
    12) Chatterbait
    13) Scrounger head
    14) softplastic lizard
    15) softplastic craw

Arig may surprise people, but the damn thing works year around and just about everywhere and catches big fish.
    Great detail! As with everyone else's posts I'll look into these lures and pick up a few for this weekend. Weather looks like a fishing day in the making.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast