Thread: Hunting Run 5/11

Default Hunting Run 5/11

Since my club tournament got cancalled this past Saturday me and my buddy Danny took the opportunity to fish an open tournament at Hunting Run Reservoir hosted by the Weekend Bassers of Fredricksburg. I started out throwing a buzzer, a crankbait, and a swimbait and my partner Danny put 5 in the box pretty quickly with a senko but they were all short 10-11 inches. We happened to a pass another boat that was just fishing and after talking with them the dude whose parents live on the lake told me that I should pretty much not bother throwing anything fast moving because the fish don't generally respond to it on the lake and you generally needed to finesse the fish. After that I switching over to a wacky rigged robo worm with small eco tungsten wacky weight and hit 3 fish on my first 3 casts. This lake is basically brush and trees everywhere so we were just trolling along flipping the senko and wacky worm to the brush. In the back of one the coves there was a good amount of grass so i channeled my inner Jay T and started throwing a Spro popping frog and was able to connect on our best fish about 14 1/2. A little while later I was throwing a fluke and connected on the biggest fish of my life...Unfortunatly a few minutes before my line had gotten wrapped inside of my reel (damn fluro) and I had to pop the top off and when I put it back on I didn't properly adjust the drag so needless to say the fish took off and I was fumbling with the drag and hooked pulled out I was able to pick up one more on a crank but 90% of our fish came on senko's, the wacky worm, and a fluke. The water temp stayed around 65 and lake had great visibility. We did see one more bas that was 20'+ up in the shallows. Overall we ended up with around 25-30 fish and although we only had 4.6 pounds we managed 2nd place. If you like fishing visible cover, catching a lot of fish with the chance at a bruiser i'd check out the lake...
    I'm about to play my Ace

Nice report Aaron - and great job on 2nd.

Thanks.

Great job Aaron.

Great job on 2nd place. Appreciate the time posting the report. Not enough info on the local resevoirs on this site.

I have been fishing that lake since it opened and the water level was about 10' lower than it is now. It is definatly a dinkfest. My last 4 trips there produced over 100 bass each time.
    The weeds are starting to grow and after they get thick, if you are throwing at the bushes, the bass will be behind you.
    My best 5 bass there for a day was 30 pounds and 11 ounces.
    The largest so far this year is 7 pounds and 6 ounces.

The lake has about 50 stump/log/brush piles that were made during lake construction.
    This is one of them:

where were you at last week Wayne ...thanks for the photo
    I'm about to play my Ace