Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAO All frog/personal iron man adventure

Default VAO All frog/personal iron man adventure

What a day we had. Fished with Andrew (fishinva89) and had an absolute blast all day. One of the most fun days fishing I have had in a long time. Our day consisted of running south to a creek and staying there all day. Had a limit early using horny toads and the rest of our fish which were all the biggest were caught on a spro popper. Our fish were SHALLOW, some in less than a foot of water. I also hooked up with at least 5 snakeheads and couldn't land a single one... In the end, ended up with 8 pounds even, good enough for 4th place. And a big F U to Striper cause the Hokies came to play Saturday! lol Congrats to Team Dirt on an incredible day. They have the river dialed in.

So after the weigh in, headed back out. With the impending storms, decided to run up into Aquia and fish. Long story short, fished flukes and frogs mostly and missed multiple fish all evening. Finally around 8 pm I hooked and finally landed a 5 pound snakehead (which was delicious!). Stopped fishing at 8:30 and headed to the ramp. It down poured on us twice and was sunny as well. Some crazy weather but a great evening overall. Also a big thanks to the guy who gave us two snakeheads for dinner. They have been enjoyed well!

Yeah team Hokie and alumni kicked some butt - unfortunately....

So are those snake heads hard to clean? I have never caught one but being from Louisana I will pretty much eat anything I can catch. LOL All kidding aside are snake heads good to eat? They look like pretty cool fish, unless they just cut the line on my Spro frog and took it with them. Thanks for the report.

Ken

Seeing as I handled the cleaning aspect of the snakeheads...I'll field that one haha. I was thinking they were going to be a little more difficult to clean than other fish but weren't really. Hardest part was the slime they produce but I solved that by driving a nail through head and tail. Scales were a tad tougher to remove but all in all came off nicely. Started at pectoral fin and carved to the spine and then down spine, peeled back the fillet all the way down the ribs until I had a nice fillet. Then just removed skin. I'm sure there may be an easier method but it would for me and ended up with six beautiful fillet. The meat is denser than moat fish and to me doesn't seem to be as "fishy" as some other fish. Pretty tasty! I recommend it.

Oh and I grew up a Wahoo fan and am a randy Mac alumni but I'll put aside our differences for a good guy like Macon who can put em in the boat and likes to fish as much if not more than myself lol.

Old school (VT-Class of '73) and new school (VT-Class of '15 ??) rock
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Good job guys! Sounds like yall had a great day on the water! Great finish!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Best way I found to fillet them is similar to a larger rockfish. A nail through the head, or news paper will make them easier to fillet.

Make the usuall top of the head across the gill down to the belly cut. Then go straight down the dorsal to the tail not cutting all the way through. Slowly begin to peel back the fillet as you continue to run the knife across the rib cage, eventually you will get low enough to cut through. Keep the fillet attached at the tail and use the rest of the body as grip to make skinning the easiest. A sharp knife is the key!
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

well done Macon, ya punk! LOL
    </div>

Very nice Macon. Just another example of the fact that the boat does not catch the fish. You and that tin/jon boat are very successful.

Great job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast