Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why does God allow suffering?

I am not educated enough: wise enough: or smart enough to address the doubts or skepticism that either one of you have. I wish I was because I sincerely want to see both of you in heaven with me. To be truthful; I don't know that even if I could that it would be enough. Know why: because my words lack the life changing power that the word of god has. It's his words and his power that changes a mans life. The power or the Holy Spirit moves a mans heart to receive gods message. That message might one day come from me: or a child: or maybe a convicted criminal. One never knows.

Here is a sincere question: what would it take to make you believe god does exist and his would is truth? Would you believe then? Or would you write it off as a bad dream? Or explain it way with science? Maybe write it off as karma: just a coincidence maybe: or an anomaly? I don't need an answer. It's a suggested question for you to ask of yourselves.

Here is two things I do know. My brothers: sisters and myself grew up in a home / homes where god was not present. We were abused mentally: emotionally: and physically and a few sexually molested. Divorce separated us at the ages between 4 and 8 years old. I have met my brother once in 55 years. I know what this world has to offer me. I have lived it and seen it. On the flip side I see what god plans are for me and his promises are to me. I have lived that life too and seen its results. I choose gods plan for me. It's as simple as that.

But there are times when doubt does creep in on me too. Then I run a bunch of stuff through my brain housing group. Like for example evolution. So life began from nothing and cumulated first with the dinosaurs followed by a mass extinction then evolved again. If evolution was that robust that life developed not once but at least twice and maybe even a third time there would be a lot more overwhelming evidence of animals continuing the evolutionary process today. When I compare the message of my god and Christianity as a whole with other religions and gods theirs don't even come close. Every other religion is based on works which in itself is absurd. My religion is based on faith and grace. My gods message is love: reconciliation and salvation. Other religious messages are once again based on earning your way to a better life and violence. My god wants salvation for all people and not just for a few select and has given every person past; present and future an equal opportunity to accept it. My god isn't going to bribe you into accepting him or threaten you with violence to accept him. There is only one way and that's of your own free will. If you only studied the bible from genesis to revelation from just a historical perspective there is overwhelming evidence to prove god does exists. Lastly there is no other religion that proclaims or promises the forthcoming final resurrection and judgment of mankind. Eric was on the money with his message. And of all religions there is only one name given under heaven by which one must be saved and that name is Jesus Christ. That name: after two thousand and thirteen years still stirs up more emotion in men and governments today as it did in the very beginning. Even our calendar is based on that name. After considering all the differences and possibilities it always leads me back to my belief and faith in my god: and each time I do this my faith becomes even stronger. Over and over I have asked myself this question: is my god real or am I fooling myself: and each time when I consider the facts and evidence surrounding the issues I am always reassured that my god is real: he is alive: he is with me now and forever and the question of my salvation is settled forever. I think when a man goes on a true quest to answer that same question in his life that he would come to the same conclusion. But he has to want it first.

It is written "Seek and yea shall find" : "ask and it shall be given unto you" :

I sincerely wish somehow I could share this with you or give you a portion of it. I know both Eric's above would gladly do the same. They too have a great witness and message.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

I know religion can be a strong debate...most people shy away from it..but we as outdoor sportsman(women) get to see gods beauty in everything if we pay attention.. im not talking about the things we take for granted or dont even realize is there..but when we are not around t, we have that memory, that thought... the sunrise on a warm summer morning as the breeze hits your face before that first run across the river, that first fish after a lot of casting.the birds chirping, or the act of just breathing..it is all a miracle..

I have been in the fire and rescue service for 15 yr(volunteer, not that it really matters paid or tick) and i know there are a few others on here that have done it for an entire career... we all can say the same things..
    we have seen things...things most people shouldnt ever have to see, thats the choice we made in our professions...
    my 1st cpr call was a 5yr old boy i hand carried down the stairs to the bus and drove him to the hospital...i did my job, and when it was over..i cried like a girl on the helipad... i was 19.. there s no explanation for that (medically it was febrile seizures)
    then on the other spectrum..ive seen 100 mph collision on the 234 bypass and the drunk a-hole walked away with no scrathces...
    there is truly no explantion aside from someone is wathcing and keeping people on the path designated for them...yes that person has many personal choices thru a lifetime, and many of them are wrong..but your belief in something higher should push you to be the best man you can be in life..(not for the promise of te afterlife, but for life enjoyment while breathing)

now another personal note..
    my fiance' technically on 3-18-13 in a car accident off vint hill road... the details are not of importance aside from 1/4" left or right she would have been dead or paralyzed right there...instead of a mendable broken back.. she had many other injuries, incuding a severed atery in her belly causing internal bleeding, and damage to spleen,colon,intestines and belly... she was pulled out of the ct scan in the er once they saw 3 liters of blood show up and her vitals tank and short time of of uncertainty with life.. they took her out of ct and right to surgery, cutting her open before the medicine kicked in to knock her out.. we read the 500 page op report from her 1st day...needless to say even after 5 months, once you read it, it kicks in a little bit..
    but point to that part of the post is this...

im not just typing hot air..medically speaking, literally, 1/4" left or right she wouldnt be here....god had his hand on my baby that morning.. he bounced her car around and placed it exactly where it needed to be so she can carry on with her reasons for being here..if there wasnt "devine intervention" (im not mocking anything, just a debateable topic) she shouldnt have made it. and our families are blessed for that.... i have seen 10mph crashes where the person does not make it...
    so in the end..the pain and suffering of the innocent, young,old anyone for that matter truly is not plesant.. i spent alot of time in the TICU and hosp over the last few months..the is alot of "unfairness" in that respect, alot of pain and sadness...and a lot of healing and happiness on our families side was paired with stories of outcomes not as nice..

that was alot of ramble, sorry..i feel a little better after..haha but really, whatever your religion or beliefs..believe in a higher being, he/she white/black, god or however you address it personally.. i know what i have seen in life and how even science cant explain some of it..
    and like my mother has always taught us..
    god is great...his power is beyond what any of us can see...but he is with us in every breath we take..
    sometimes we ask questions that we dont know the answers too..but sometimes the answers are not what is needed
    I plan to get my sunrise service in tomo on the river... amen

all great words and stories. I have a fundamental and deep respect for religion and your collective beliefs....thanks for sharing.....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

A slightly different view:

The scriputres I read tell me that God allowed only one man (Job) to suffer intentionally. He did so to prove a point (that faith will prevail) to Satan. He gave Satan a living example of how He would reward faith. There are many vile things that occur in our world every day. It is not God's will that these things occur. It is the will of men - some good, some bad - to cause these things to occur. God's role in these instances is one of grace - grace for forgiveness, grace for enduring suffering, grace for learning and growing from mistakes/trials/tribulations.

Now, God doesn't hang loose, allowing us to jack up the world. He is not an unattentive parent. Rather, He allows us to go about our worldly ways knowing/hoping that at some point we'll come back to Him (that's where the grace thing kicks in). God, in this train of thought, is like a guy sitting in the back row. His role is not overt. He chimes/reaches/lunges in at the key moment but always quietly, softly, covertly. God's praise comes from our realization of HIs presence and our gratitude for His indulgence of our shortcomings (more grace).

Satan is a beautiful, powerful liar. He comes in all sizes, shapes, and colors. His 'gifts' may have some luster initially but they ultimately fade. There is no grace, no forgiveness, no softness. Once he has a soul, the rest is discarded. Satan loves chaos and wonton hate and cruelty. He knows that once these things are pervasive, people will challenge and question God's existence (and grace). Once we question, Satan's door is thrown open. Perhaps more succinctly said, for every chord of harmony God strikes, Satan strikes a disonant one. Man, in the ultimate case, is free to decide which music he listens to. God's patience thru all of of this is the deciding factor. he knows that in the end Satan will not be able to endure grace's supremity over time. Powerful as Satan is, his power is limited. God and he both know it.

My thought has been, science has proven evolution with hard evidence. There is nothing factual in the bible, only passages that tell 2nd hand stories. I think what little of the bible I have read is as exactly as previously described; Inspirational...

The problem I see, is evolution and religion are contradicting... extremely contradicting..

Why does the old book no longer apply, but the new one does?

Here are my favorite quotes that leave me scratching my head:

"When you buy a male Hebrew slave, he shall serve for six years, but in the seventh he shall go out a free person, without debt."

"Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy; for I am the Lord your God. Keep my statutes, and observe them; I am the Lord; I sanctify you. "

"All who curse father or mother shall be put to death; having cursed father or mother, their blood is upon them. "

"When a slave-owner strikes a male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately, the owner shall be punished. But if the slave survives for a day or two, there is no punishment; for the slave is the owners property"

"I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor."

And the one that hits me the hardest due to my father recovering from cancer in his genital region:

"No man whose testicles have been crushed or whose organ has been cut off may become a member of the Assembly of God."

Don't shoot me please....

No one has answered my original question though.

What would you suggest god do about it?

God would suggest we embrace grace and live our lives to the fullest, because when we fail he'll be there to pick us up.

Wise words Brian. I Got it! I think lol.

Quote Originally Posted by just1more View Post
    No one has answered my original question though.

What would you suggest god do about it?
    Define Evil for me...

Here is a question I have, if there is only one god, then why is there several different gods with great variation throughout the world? Why did Christians feel the need to spread their religion to other cultures that didnt even know of christianity that had their own gods... some of them much older cultures that had prayed to multiple gods for different reasons well before Christianity had been "established"... I'm not slamming Christianity, I just never understood it. Why are the weakest cultures in this world typically the most religious, but the super powers usually have the lowest religious recruits?

Again I am not knocking religion, I honestly just don't understand it. Some of the nicest people I have ever met are religious, but again some of the darkest people I have ever met are just as religious...

Wow best topic in a while....considering i rammed two nails through the side of my right knuckle on my middle finger yesterday (yep casting hand Sat. tournament going to be real interesting, dang duck blinds) i see it as devine timing for my take. First off a true Christian is not going to shoot at you guys or yell at you guys. Christians should be coming from a position of love, compasion, and servitude. To answer one of Eric"s questions why Christians feel the need to spread their religion. Because we are charged to do so by Christ especially to places that have never heard of his gospel. As for all of the other gods out there none of them ever came to earth to personally show you how to live a life of love, compasion, and servatude towards one another as Christ did. Eric also asked a superb question how is it that the so called super powers usually have the lowest religous recruits....the answer is pretty simple in one word arrogance. And I'm just going to say it and it hurts me to the core to say it this country is turning its back to God, and i love this country some of you on here have fought for her and so does my oldest son, but boys you guys have known me long enough that I'm a straight shooter, it is what it is, we are in a moral decline because we have blured the lines between what once was flat out a sin to what is now "well its ok it acceptable" and I'm not talking about one particular thing a whole array of inmorality. That's Satan's way of keeping you from finding the truth. it hardens ones heart and keeps them from seeking God. There is a battle being waged for your sould everyday don't believe it, then why are we having this discussion?

As for why bad things happen old 31 nailed it (by the way bro I forgive you for what you did on my boat that day). My finger is killing me boys and ladies but I'm going to write on this some more in the morning hopefully it will help make sence of a lot of things. But for everyone reading and who has posted here I am giving you a personal invitation to join me and my family at our chruch New Hope Baptist in Mine Run, Va. nothing would make us happier and I garantee great fellowship and if its not too many of you LUNCH.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast