Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why does God allow suffering?

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Carr View Post

As for why bad things happen old 31 nailed it (by the way bro I forgive you for what you did on my boat that day). .
    That was Evil or Satan himself leaving his body bwhahahahahahahahhaha

To touch on Eric's comments about super powers having low recruits and the weaker countries being more religions I think its fairly simple. God has blessed us richly as a nation over the years and I think that we have become so comfortable that we don't feel we need God like before. The "weaker" countries dont have the luxeries that we have here and therefore, in my opinion, they feel a stronger need for their god to save them. The reason that God allows suffering is as easy as one word... SIN. When sin came into this world we were all doomed. God's original plan with Adam and Eve was for there to be no suffering but once Eve was tempted by the devil and sin was born into the world there has been suffering ever since. As others have stated, God uses trials and tribulations to mold His people. Correcting us when we stray from Him. Sometimes to us it may seem extreme but when you think about it... God says the wages of sin is death. God sent His son Jesus to pay the price that we all diserve and because of that we can be saved from an eternity apart from God. But Jim, the simple answer to your question is, sin is why God allows suffering.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

The short answer EJP is I am sure that man has created for himself many gods; mostly to condone or support a guilt free immoral lifestyle. When you compare the religious tenets of these other gods and religions to the gospel of Jesus Christ the deference’s are glaring. As an example the Muslim religion has a neat little provision allowing for a temporary marriage while a man is on travel. For a price he can enter into a temporary marriage for an hour, a day, or three days, etc. How convenient is that? Some religions required the human sacrifice of children to its god or gods! Teddy had the right answer; our god came to use in the flesh; he showed us through his example how we should live and worship our Father in Heaven. Jesus Christ didn’t come to ask us to kill ourselves for his sake or ask us to sacrifice our children for his sake either. Our god sacrificed himself for us. That’s the difference between my God and the God of other religions.

EJP; you ask some very legitimate questions. Questions that require legitimate answers. Answers I am not qualified to give you. However; I know who can give you the answers to your questions. Ask God; Even if you don’t believe in him ask him anyway; and keep asking. I can guarantee you will get the answers to your question. The below story tells of an Ethiopian, who returning from worshiping the lord, was reading scriptures that he did not understand. So the lord dispatch a messenger to provide him the answers. He will send someone to answer your questions too EJP.

Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” 27 So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of the Kandake (which means “queen of the Ethiopians”). This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship, 28 and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the Book of Isaiah the prophet. 29 The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.”
    30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked.
    31 “How can I,” he said, “unless someone explains it to me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.
    32 This is the passage of Scripture the eunuch was reading:
    “He was led like a sheep to the slaughter,
    and as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
    so he did not open his mouth.
    33 In his humiliation he was deprived of justice.
    Who can speak of his descendants?
    For his life was taken from the earth.”
    34 The eunuch asked Philip, “Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?” 35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.
    36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. What can stand in the way of my being baptized?” [37] [c] 38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. 40 Philip, however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about, preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Caesarea.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Carr View Post
    As for why bad things happen old 31 nailed it (by the way bro I forgive you for what you did on my boat that day). .
    One correction Teddy. We were on MY BOAT that day if you recall. You came out in a borrowed boat because you had recently hit a log and cracked the back of your boat and did a number on your lower unit. I wanted the "trails" anyway as we wanted a trip up north to learn. Still one of my favorite trips as we had 9 fish over 4 lbs that day...But it was definitely my boat....trust me on that LOL
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

To follow on to what Jim says above, as he says 'just ask him'. So many things can be answered thru prayer with true intent while looking for answers. The Holy Ghost will touch us and allow us to know the truth in all things, as to whether they be true or not.

James, chapter 1:5-8
    5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
    7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
    8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

...and just for the fun of it, I would say verse 8 sums up our good friend EJP perfectly. LOL
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Very interesting topic Jim. My suggestion to everyone is to read or continuing reading the best book ever written and let the good Lord speak to you. I would recommend supplementing this book with C.S Lewis' book "Mere Christianity".

Non-believers will love this book!
    Don't be intimated by what appears to be complex.
    Rob
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Quote Originally Posted by MSTFSH View Post
    Very interesting topic Jim. My suggestion to everyone is to read or continuing reading the best book ever written and let the good Lord speak to you. I would recommend supplementing this book with C.S Lewis' book "Mere Christianity".

Non-believers will love this book!
    Don't be intimated by what appears to be complex.
    Rob
    In the interest of sharing good reading and having both sides represented, I can suggest one by Richard Dawkins titled "The God Delusion". I have it, found it compelling personally.

Crib notes version here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion
    cheers,
    Steve

Will read the notes, fair play, lol.

It needs to be mentioned that CS Lewis was an atheist.
    CS Lewis (very bright) did his best to dissprove God and Jesus. I will let the readers see how it ends.
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Quote Originally Posted by MSTFSH View Post
    Will read the notes, fair play, lol.

It needs to be mentioned that CS Lewis was an atheist.
    CS Lewis (very bright) did his best to dissprove God and Jesus. I will let the readers see how it ends.
    Yea, CS Lewis is the poster child for all the Christians who believe we atheists, if we just thought about it, would realize the error of our ways....I'm just not as smart as him obviously....
    cheers,
    Steve

The purpose of my question “What would you suggest God do about it” was to expose how foolish and idiotic it would be for us to even try to suggest to God solutions to the problems that plague us in this present age. Any attempt to answer a question like that would have been filled with hypocrisy; injustices; and the person who would have been bold enough to try would have most likely exposed himself to a battery of criticisms’. After all; have we not been trying to solve these problems for thousands of years already? How’s that working out for us?

My post was intended to remind us just how inadequate and arrogant we really are as humans: and ultimately show us just how much we desperately need the lord God in our lives. The Mosaic Law handed down to Moses was not to provide a means to get to heaven. It was given to condemn us; to show us that it is impossible for a person to work his way into heaven. To show us how inadequate and sinful we really are.

Steve made a comment about the vastness of space. I truly understand how remarkable and vast it really is. Now consider that God “Said” “Let there be light and there was Light”. God “spoke” the Sun into existence. Our minds cannot comprehend that kind of power. So does that make it untrue? In my mind getting to and from any point in the universe is just a mere thought for the Lord. And much of what scientist believed to be true yesterday is no longer true today. What we think is true today will be changed again in another 100 years too; if not next week.

God’s wisdom; power and holiness are so far beyond anything we can comprehend. Understanding that makes it’s easy for me to trust him and have faith in him even when I cannot or do not understand his plan for me. In the end all will be made right; we just need to trust him.

This thread has been enjoyable for me; and I learned much. The thread has however provide us with awesome discussions: Great questions were asked producing an abundance of wise; insightful; and useful answers. All without losing friendships lol.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast