Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice

Default Any advice

So i am planning a wknd trip to some new areas in MD and wanted to know if anyone had advice. I am planning on staying at the Elk Neck State Forest in MD and wanted to know if anyone had any fishing advice for up that way. Looking at google maps it looks similar to potomac fishing, but I figured any additional advice is always welcome.

yes, come out of the river and head north to the flats... The Elk and the Bohemia have good fishing too, but the pleasure boat traffic is insane there. The Turkey Point area (mouth of the Elk) is some of the scariest water I have ever been in, in a bass boat, it's literally like the ocean some days. Make sure and get a chip that covers that area, as some will tell you that I have taken up there from this board, the center is the shallowest, and the deepest is typically up against the bank in most cases... You must navigate with caution, where you would think is deep might only be 2"... I have seen countless bass boats sitting so far up on a sandbar they would need to wait on a flood tide to get them off, and SeaTow can't help you out there, it's just way to far out in the skinny to get you, again use caution when navigating.

Great ... all I need LOL ... Well now I know to be paying attention to that.

As for location are you talking about up by furnace bay/cara cove then? Or further north than that?

The channels are marked with bouys reasonably well. The "Back Channel" is the Furnace Bay / Harve D Grace area can be tricky but there are channel markers. Fishing is good but some of the meanest bass boat water you'll find when the wind blows. There can be some long nasty runs from one hole to the next.

It looks like the Potomac but I always believed it fished entirly different. With the exception of frog fishing. You can whack em on a frog up there. The spinnerbait fishing is better there than the Potomac.

is it worth the run to run south towards the 301 bridge? I did a quick measure and it is 48 miles (give or take) to the 301, so didn't know if there was any great honey holes down that direction. Don't really want to make a run like that unless I was going to wack em good

South on the bay? You mean the baybridge? no... not at all actually. The Chester River does have good fishing, but thats a haul dude.

What dates are you thinking about going.. thats the big deciding factor right there.

There is 3 channel up there.

The back channel which runs from Tydings Marina in HDG down to the mouth of Swan Creek

The Rim channel which starts in front of Perry Point and goes to NE River, though it Y's at the eastern tip of Furnace Bay, this channel is not marked at all, any where... excpect by the obstructions them selves lol..

The center channel which runs from HDG/Susky down thru the islands to Aberdeen where it is then safe to cut across to the Elk.

Anywhere else, you had better know the water well, and I mean really well, and that still doesn't work out well for some of us locals.

If you go fishing now, go to the flats and pick some grass to tear apart. There is also the retreads in the NE river, which can be the better pattern.

If your going from mid October on, you'd better be dock fishing.

There is also the Sass just to the south of the Elk which can be good, but I rarely fish there.. To far from Dundee, to far from Hdg when I am riding past 20lb+ stringers to get there.

It's an amazing place, fish are much more tidal then the river. The grass is much different now, lots more Eel Grass then Milfoil lately.

Get a good chart man, we aren't lying to you. My best friend lives on the NE, been boating it for 30 years, his new nick name as of 2012 is "Sandbar Smitty"..... long story, but we found a new sand bar lol...

I plan on fishing next weekend up there but I am planning a trip for the first wknd of october out there and I wanted that to be successful which is why I figured I would go now to start familiarizing myself with the river.

I figured it will be easier to see things now while the grass is still thick. It sounds to me like it is a lot like the james in the sense that you need to stay in the channels only the channels aren't marked very well?

Not the case at all with the grass... there are areas that are to shallow to support the grass more often then not before you get to the grass. The grass I did well in, in the late spring early summer was 1/2 mile from the channel with no grass on the flat at all.. I literally had to stop, raise jack plate, and idle 1/2 mile to get there, then it dropped down to 2-3' and there was good grass with super donks in it. However that has all changed.

You might want to investigate the Sassafrass then, it's just due south of the Elk, and gets much lighter pressure then the flats itself. It navigates and fishes much more like the Potomac.

I appreciate all the advice. Sounds like I have a bunch of investigating ahead of me. My GF is excited about heading out to a new location, I think she enjoys them more than me, lol. I just like to have an idea of where to fish before I bring her there hehe.

It's a really big area dude, really big. IM me your email, I'll hook you up with a marked up google image map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast