Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food Plot Seeded

Interesting conversation

Im sure others have posted this somewhere on here, but too lazy to look back through all the posts . Just to make it clear about us here in VA..... It is ILLEGAL to hunt deer(and most other animals for that matter) over bait. You can use corn and other products(which is good to get a good herd count and yes even pics of the deer you want to pursue on camera) through the end of this month, but must stop before Spet 1. Now I know you are going to come back with the food plot, agg fields, etc are bait..... the state, and game commission does not feel that way, nor do I personally. Great topic of discussion and/or debates. These plots and agg fields are magnets during spring, summer, and even late fall/winter, however; when bow season kicks off in Oct..... you better be finding what mother nature provides the deer every year(acorns) to be successful. Do I hunt over food plots, cut corn or bean fileds... yes, at times. but similar to fishing, you have to do your homework and pattern the animal you are after to be successful. I see food plots as a way to help the general over all health of the deer heard and if it helps me take a trophy or tablefare then even better, but harvesting a deer from a plot is not my first thought when putting one in....... and the thought of taking a deer over a bait pile makes me want to puke and I have no respect for those as hunters who do. I am a hunter... not a killer and I think many of us are like that..... not all mind you, but many.

Good Topic!
    Eddie

oh..... and stripe, thats a good'en on the below pic. Good Luck w/ him this year

Eddie

Thanks, Eddie, but I [still] don't see the difference. Food plot = baiting, plain and simple. You're planting habitat (or whatever other euphamism you wish to use) in order to draw deer into a position where you don't have to do any real hunting stuff to kill it. Sorry, dood, but it's not hunting. You're just killing a deer that's been conditioned [to behave outside of its natural habitat and conditions].

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    Thanks, Eddie, but I [still] don't see the difference. Food plot = baiting, plain and simple. You're planting habitat (or whatever other euphamism you wish to use) in order to draw deer into a position where you don't have to do any real hunting stuff to kill it. Sorry, dood, but it's not hunting. You're just killing a deer that's been conditioned [to behave outside of its natural habitat and conditions].
    Exactly why I could have never survived in our Army.....I would have had to be a Marine I guess....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

And a fine Marine you would've been, pard. Adapt, improvise, overcome.

agree to disagree on the food plot......from my perspective anyway, I guess everyone would have a different angle as to "why" they plant them, meaning a killing spot vs. overall herd health and nutrition. I will have to say you are wrong if you think you can just sit on a food plot without proper hunting preporation and harvest a trophy(or mature deer).... there is much more to it than that(to consistently do that anyway). You are highly underestimating the nose and other senses that a mature deer has. And that is my point of overall herd health and management. Mature deer will catch on to your gig and only come in a night if he feels uncomfortable with the situation.... or leave the area entirely.

Just sayin', it's more to being a hunter than planting a food plot, sitting, and shooting. Im sure it happens, but thats not what I am talking about. Again, there is a difference between being a killer and a hunter... a hunter is about game management, thats good for the game and the hunter.

Anways... good to hear different thoughts and opinions... Cheers
    Eddie

Guess I need to get mine in...you know I planned to do mine a little later this year bc I sad to myself summers are always so dry and I don't a good crop to come up. Boy am I kicking myself this year.

Eddie, nicely put. it is so good to see internet personas get alone and agree to disagree. I am on your side on this, but it doesn't matter as I appreciate where my pard is coming from. Good job in keeping this conversation clean....thanks to Brian who owns this site for setting such standards...(I'll regret this comment)...

Quote Originally Posted by eddiegriggs View Post
    agree to disagree on the food plot......from my perspective anyway, I guess everyone would have a different angle as to "why" they plant them, meaning a killing spot vs. overall herd health and nutrition. I will have to say you are wrong if you think you can just sit on a food plot without proper hunting preporation and harvest a trophy(or mature deer).... there is much more to it than that(to consistently do that anyway). You are highly underestimating the nose and other senses that a mature deer has. And that is my point of overall herd health and management. Mature deer will catch on to your gig and only come in a night if he feels uncomfortable with the situation.... or leave the area entirely.

Just sayin', it's more to being a hunter than planting a food plot, sitting, and shooting. Im sure it happens, but thats not what I am talking about. Again, there is a difference between being a killer and a hunter... a hunter is about game management, thats good for the game and the hunter.

Anways... good to hear different thoughts and opinions... Cheers
    Eddie
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

I'll give up food plots if you give up your electronics for fishing, 31. Seems fair?
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast