Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food Plot Seeded

Default Food Plot Seeded

I dodged most of the rain yesterday and managed to get a quarter acre food plot opened up and seeded yesterday and then we got more rain which is going to be perfect this week. We planted a no till mix in part of it with the rest being a clover mix along with some purple top turnips. Then for good measure we went through and mixed wheat in to all of it. Its a nice plot that is uneven in shape and winds its way through an oak flat. Last year I did some tests with wheat and they were on it fast so hoping this year is even better. I think this is the first time I have gotten my seed down this early, so I feel good about it.

Here are a few pics as well. Oh and I finally found my last missing game camera - it was still strapped to a tree and taking pictures since November - just forgot which tree. But my brother found it while he was taking care of business on an oak tree. I havent seen these two deer before on my property - I like the smaller guy he has a few points coming off his base - some nice character.

Name:  PICT0144-1024.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  355.8 KBName:  PICT0145-1024.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  351.0 KB

Hope it was not snapping pics of him while taking care of his business. ..lol
    Mike c

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

So, all y'all hunters know I'm not gonna pass up on an opportunity (any opportunity) to continue my diatribe on baiting. With that, I find it interesting that it actually goes beyond simple baiting. Y'all are now using digital means to confirm/deny the efficacy of your baiting. My guess is that before too long there will be an app you can download (free, of course) that will enable you to shoot at a deer within your designated kill box without having to physically occupy your stand. Guess it doesn't get any better than that. This whole baiting thing is ingenious really. Allows a hunter to maximize his/her time shooting, tracking, or dressing vc having to actually go out and figure out how a deer behaves in any given plot of woods. Not much to figure out when you're feeding them.

I do have one technical question: is there an optimal distance the bait should be from the firing position? I'm certain weapon (bow vc muzzle loader vc center fire) drives that. So would undergrowth and forest densities. So enlighten me - how do you determine where to place your bait? Is there any [real] challenge to your marksmanship skills in this? At what point do y'all give up the term "hunting" and just say "shooting?" (There really isn't any hunting going on since the bait and your digital observation devices tell you where and when the deer will be there.) Inquiring minds want to know. . .

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    So, all y'all hunters know I'm not gonna pass up on an opportunity (any opportunity) to continue my diatribe on baiting. With that, I find it interesting that it actually goes beyond simple baiting. Y'all are now using digital means to confirm/deny the efficacy of your baiting. My guess is that before too long there will be an app you can download (free, of course) that will enable you to shoot at a deer within your designated kill box without having to physically occupy your stand. Guess it doesn't get any better than that. This whole baiting thing is ingenious really. Allows a hunter to maximize his/her time shooting, tracking, or dressing vc having to actually go out and figure out how a deer behaves in any given plot of woods. Not much to figure out when you're feeding them.

I do have one technical question: is there an optimal distance the bait should be from the firing position? I'm certain weapon (bow vc muzzle loader vc center fire) drives that. So would undergrowth and forest densities. So enlighten me - how do you determine where to place your bait? Is there any [real] challenge to your marksmanship skills in this? At what point do y'all give up the term "hunting" and just say "shooting?" (There really isn't any hunting going on since the bait and your digital observation devices tell you where and when the deer will be there.) Inquiring minds want to know. . .
    Oh Boy, there goes my pard. There already was a website setup by a Texas farm that had lots of deer and they had a gun controlled by the internet that allowed you to pay and then take a shot. They would dress the deer and send you the meat and the head if you wanted it. It caused a huge outcry and got shutdown. Yes, they had safe guards to prevent you from shooting people
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Sweet...

31....scroll down to "Are food plots considered bait"?
    http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlif.../plantings.asp
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

It all goes back to ethics. Even though its legal, some find some fault in it. Opinons are what make this world go around.
    Crank That Jank!

Larry - I've read it. There and a buncha other places. Still doesn't answer my questions, dood.

One minor diff, B - I'm not killing the fish I catch (on purpose anyways). For the record, I've personally never planted any brush or rock piles.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast