Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Virginia Rut & Deer Activity

Default 2013 Virginia Rut & Deer Activity

So might as well kick off our annual rut and activity thread to keep track of things.

Powhatan - I am still seeing bachelor groups but have caught wind of the first buck beginning to shed velvet - should start to see more.

Acorns are almost non-existent this year but hickory are keeping the squirrels busy

Interesting. In stafford its raining acorns. I have not seen a buck in a month. But the fawns have lost there spots.

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Not an acorn one here in BBG, even after all the rain this year. Fawns are a mixed bag - some are big as yearlings already w/ almost faded out spots. Some look like they just dropped - tiny, skinny.

Bucks are still together and in velvet from what I'm seeing. They should start peeling it off soon.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    Not an acorn one here in BBG, even after all the rain this year. Fawns are a mixed bag - some are big as yearlings already w/ almost faded out spots. Some look like they just dropped - tiny, skinny.
    Interesting - I have seen the same - some big fawns and one doe with 2 fawns still carrying spots. This year from my game camera surveys, it looks like it was a good breeding year and the coyotes may have gotten a few but I am seeing good numbers.

SW VA update - summer coats have faded to grey/brown in the past week. Two bucks in the neighborhood herd have started shedding felt. I have rubs all over the backyard. Cold front moving thru early this week - will have lows in the low 50s, highs only up to lower 70s.

I hunt three different properties, all in Augusta Co., but on complete different ends of he county. I've had the cameras running for about a month, and am COVERED UP with bears! A few does and fawns, but horns seem scarce thus far. Plan on checking a camera on the 3rd property for the first time tomorrow morning, where I saw a nice 10 while hanging a stand. Hoping for less black, and more brown!!

Bear populations seem to have exploded from everyone I talk to and my brother who hunts a large property in buckingham. I saw a nice 8 point in leesylvania state park 2 weekends back fully shed of velvet. Acorns here in fburg as far as my house and surrounding areas acorns seem to be light, compared to the bumper crops of the past 2 years

Seems to be heating up nicely about now...I got tons of pine tree saplings broken in half from all the rubbing...I'm also excited to see that I got some cedar trees about 10 inches around that have totally been rubbed up. All in all I'm seeing tons if scrapes and tons of rubs. I had a buddy of mine that claims to have seen a young buck chasing already but you know hunters are like fisherman.

Though I haven't seen a buck yet there are rubs everywhere. I have also noticed that my limit for seeing deer during a hunt is apparently cut to 2 a day here in Clarke County.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast