Thread: CBBT Striper Fishing

Question CBBT Striper Fishing

I have been in VA (Newport News) now for a year and have pretty much fished Lake Anna and chic river mostly. I have a 20ft ranger w/ a 225 ETEC. Is the chesapeke bay/cbbt fishable from a bass boat or is it too dangerous? I would be putting in on the peninsula side and making an 18 mile trip accross the bay. Thanks for any advice.

The CBBT is fishable in your bass boat on the perfect day. You must choose wisely as it can get very dangerous very fast in a small boat. On a nice calm late fall or early winter day you will see kayaks, jon boats and all sorts of other small craft along with sportfishers, cruisers, center consoles, etc. The other piece of your puzzle is to not leave from the Peninsula. The only place I would recommend launching from in a bass boat is the Crab Creek ramp at Lynnhaven Inlet. The ramp is off of Shore Drive between Norfolk and Virginia Beach. The inlet will put you at the base of the CBBT and about 3 miles from the 1st/2nd island complex. Safety equipment is also of huge importance when your fishing big water during a cold time of year on a boat with zero free board. Check on the coastal regulations, you will definitely need flares which are not required at Anna or on the Chick. The fishing can be phenomenal on light tackle around the islands and the pilings of the CBBT but extreme caution is recommended.

Go to message boards like Tidal Fish and meet some people and you can more than likely hop on others boats that are more equipped and less weather dependent.

Good Luck!
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Thanks JayT

I fish there often and agree with Jay it is doable on the right day. Bad thing is in the fall it gets rough and stays rough. I have a 25' boats and at times wonder what the hell i was thinking by going out. If you are looking to fish the small boat channel, 1st or 2nd island then crab creek is hte place to go. If you have a NE wind which is common that time of the year i would go to Kipopeake and launch behind the concrete ships and fish the high rise, 3rd and 4th islands.

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

I have a lot of experience fishing some big water from a smaller boat, mostly 17-18ft Walleye boats though. To go along with what others have mentioned I will add the following.
    1. Safety, Safety, Safety...no fish is worth risking your life or the life of others for. WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET...Falling into cold water without one is a recipe for disaster.
    2. Watch the weather...and continue to monitor it...also know the times for tide changes as the wind and current can make for some choppy conditions quickly. REMEMBER the wave reports do not account for tide influences on the wave heights....they will be bigger depending on the tide
    3. Have all your required safety equipment (ensure it works)
    4. One thing many bass boaters don't have is a VHF radio, which is a must in my opinion on big water...even a handheld is better than nothing. Without it you are just hoping someone sees you if something goes wrong out there. KNOW HOW TO USE YOUR RADIO...it could save your life
    5. Ensure your bilge pump works...have a spare also (don’t forget a hand pump as well)
    6. Have extra plugs, rags, ect...in case you need to stop a leak
    7. The weather report and water may be great with 1 footers all day, but always be watching for the rouge 3+ footer that seems to come from nowhere.
    8. A bass boat of any size does not have a lot of freeboard, be careful and make smart choices
    9. Buddy boat if you can, I like to team up with another boat and stay close to them so we can watch out for each other out there.
    10. Make a float plan, leave it with someone, this way if you are not back when you say you will be, or you do not contact them to alter your plan, someone can start worrying about you and contact the Coast Guard....The sooner someone realizes something may be wrong is the sooner help can be on the way.

I used to get worried sometimes in my 22' Grady White. Doing it in a bass boat sounds like a good way to end up as shark.