Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Anna Bait Kill

Default Lake Anna Bait Kill

I asked Chris at CC BASSN why everyone wants an Anna bait kill so bad, but I really didn't grasp his answer well. Sorry Chris. So why does everyone want this when it was an awesome year for fishing and I have seen so many big bags on Anna and lots of Big Bass too. My striper season has started off with such a huge success this year and I have provided a couple of meals for our area's needy so far. Much of my success has come from J1M his insight and coaching he gave me last year. So why a bait kill???? With everyone else success too would that hurt prospects and cause the bass to become dormant or do I just not understand how much bait is here. I just don't fully understand. Does less forage mean bigger bags of bass. I have been fishing Anna for many years (mainly striper) and when we have had cold and lake was frozen, it was a one fish a day Anna. The last 3 or 4 years have not had cold spells like the past.

??? Who's asking for/wanting a bait kill?
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

When there is so much bait around the fish dont need to bite at your lure because they are so full of eating bait fish. One reason I fish where there is little to no bait around.
    Crank That Jank!

Last year.....there was NO cold weather to kill off baitfish like it normally does. This provided for an enormous amount of bait this year. You will notice a lot and I mean a lot of bait starting to push back into the creeks soon. This gives the fish a very easy meal and of course, on the flip side, they could care less about our artificial baits. Have ya noticed the sacks at weighin this year are down from last year? Let's hope for a hard freeze this winter at some point....or next year we may have to fish the river year round....hahaha.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Not really at Anna as far as weights being down except just recently, but this could be just due to the transition time. On the river yes. I remember a few years back when Anna froze hard down to Dukes and 14 pound sacks were common first place weights. Is the fish I am seeing at the marina this year at weigh ins, guides, just out fishing not a sign of a healthy Anna. Many called Anna the Dead sea years back. I always like it because it challenged the mind.

There is another factor at work besides the lack of a winter fish kill. The constant wet weather has put a lot of nutrients into the water via runoff. This has lead to a huge population of phytoplankton and thus zoo plankton (feed on the phytoplankton). Main forage for shad and baby bass, etc, are zooplankton. So, the shad just have a ton of food to eat, thus they grow and reproduce like crazy the last couple years. The water downlake during years past was crystal clear, the last couple years it has had a very healthy green color to it.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

In essance we are trying to feed them hot dogs, when they are eatin fillet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The best sprin I have ever whitnessed was the spring of 2000. The lake froze well past Sturgeon and a lot of the bait at mid lake died off. The fish gorged themselves on the dyeing bait and when it was all gone they were a little hungry to say the least. That March when the lake started to thaw, you would go out and get your arms ripped off with a jerk bait!!!!!!!!! I even caught fish right up against the ice in 33-34 degree water temps!!!!!!!!!!
    CCBASSN Lake Anna Guide Service
    Blog www.ccbassnlakeanna.blogspot.com
    Team Lew's Pro Staff www.lews.com
    Asst. Manager Anna Point Marina Shore Store www.annapoint.com
    LAPR Bass Series Asst. Director www.laprbass.com

</div>

A couple of observations here. Down lake is a tougher nut to crack than mid lake and up. It's much larger and a lot more open water = a lot more opens for bass. Not many are very good at down lake so when anglers are forced to fish that direction it doesn't surprise me when weights are lighter than from up lake. Of course the exception is the winter series TX guys. This past spring was awesome jerk bait fishing. The best I have ever had. Multiple 17 pound days were quite frequent. But I worked hard on the spring bite this year and had a lot of time spent on the water too. The Dead Sea? It certainly was. But I write that off for two reasons. One is angler skill back then was far less than what it is today. The skill level of anglers has improved tremendously the past 15 years and combine that with many many mild winters = some great catch rates. The other reason was the minimum 15 inch size limit. Imangine tx with a 15 inch minimum. Talk about tough. Shad kill? I see it as good and bad for all the reasons stated in your posts above. But I think its natures way of keeping a balance. I try to fish areas with the presence of shad but not inandated with it. A shad kill makes for good jerk bait and fluke fishing for sure. And makes for an awesome catfish season for those that like catfish. Just my two cents guys. God bless b
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Makes sense...
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

well 1st who wants a bait kill and why ??? 2nd i am not sure i follow the logic, don't we use the bait fish to ?? if u kill the bait what will u use for ur baits??? now the sticky part how would u kill off the bait fish with out hurting the fish we are trying to catch???? i think we should just leave things alone and let mother nature handle the rest..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast