Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HPDI running right again: for now lol.

Does the boat shop at Anna Point have a Yammi Mech?4

Yep. I have used them twice and both times they screwed up pretty bad both times.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Sorry to hear all this Jim. I am of no help but just wishin ya a quick fix buddy.
    Rob
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Jim was on FB at 5am this morning working on it again. Hope he gets it straight.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Well, I gave myself the kiss of death by spouting off that my rig is running fine.....and it is........if I can get it started!! Lat 2 times out it has been a bear to get started in the cold weather. It gallops on the starter but won't "catch". If I give it gas it jumps off the starter but won't run more than a second. Then the process starts all over again. I WILL figure it out and it might be as simple as a starting battery starting to go bad. It's a Blue Top Optima 1000mca, 850cca which is marginal to begin with, especially with all the electronics going through it and the draw the motor needs to fire over. Once started, runs fine all day. It's just the initial startup. All filters have been done (yes, even the secret ones). I have new plugs to install but was trying to eeek out the rest of this season on my old ones. Had a Yammie mechanic tell me there is a link and sync for the throttle plates and the TCM that probably needs to be done as well. So I might just pull up to your mechanic Eric....get me his name please...Thanks...I'm also open to anyone else's guesses as well.

The more and more I listen to y'all with the newer fancy high-tech motors, the more grateful I am to have the nice and simple carbed Merc XR-6.

Sure, it needs an awful lot of loving on the cold mornings and will smoke you out like a forest fire for a bit if your downwind, but it's a workhorse and I have full faith in it.

Hope you fellas can get it all figured out. I've been lucky with my motor, and I dread the day when bad things happen...
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Buddy of mine named Anthony down in Mineral is a certified Yamaha mechanic. More than reasonable pricing and always a straight shooter. If you're interested in talking to him let me know, I can put you in touch.

Possibly. I need a full blown diagnostic shop to do the Sync though. I don't think it's a wrench repair. If he has the gear to do it, I'd be interested.

Coming from my 2000, 225efi, I was spoiled. Heaven only knows how many hours were on that motor it was my guide boat and I pulled it all over god's green earth. I ran it in 100 degree plus days and 10 degree days. Started every time you touched the key and on the first crank. NEVER was in the shop and when I sold it after running it for 2 years in Florida, it still had the original plugs. I wasn't messin with something that wasn't broke!! Yes, it liked it's fuel and oil but it showed up for work every day and never let me down or left me stranded. My current motor was part of the deal when I found the boat.

Not sure what type of equipment he has, you would have to ask. His family owns a shop in Dumfries and I believe he works at another place down near his house, so he may have access even if he doesn't own the equipment himself. I will pm you his #.

Here is what I know about starting so far. When you turn the key on the ECU fires the fuel injectors once in preperation for starting. When the ECU senses the starter turning the flywheel it goes into a fixed start mode where the timing, fuel, and spark are preset for starting. Once its running the sensors input data for smooth running. When mine was doing the identical thing it ended up being the injectors flooding. When it does I hold it a WOT and let it crank until it starts. Once started I let it idel. The HPDI DI's start and idel on four cylindes in nutral. If you rev it up in nutral the ECU will drop off two more cylinders. It sounds like crap turning over but it will start and run that way. Thats not the way we should have to start em but thats what I have to do to mine sometimes until I get it figured out as well. Some could be's are the squeeze bulb, the low pressure fuel pumps lesaking fuel into the cylinder block (2 of em), a weak spark (coil or plug resistor), flooding injectors, and or a bad or weak spark plug, dirty butter fly's, and finally the coils under the fly wheel. Simple isnt it lol. Like Eric said, I miss my old Merc XR-4 lol.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast