Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HPDI running right again: for now lol.

Default HPDI running right again: for now lol.

Here is the cost of my recent HPDI 250 outboard education: in Oct of 2012 my boat lost power above 4000 RPM. I also had a problem with hard starting and idling. After a lot of on line research I narrowed / isolated it down to primarily an injector problem. I pulled the injectors, sent them out for testing and cleaning. I reworked my entire fuel system. Afterwards I regained my top end but still had the starting / idling issue. A year later almost to the day I lost top end again. I turned it in to a Yamaha mechanic in Richmond Oct 2013. He had it 4 weeks. He couldn't duplicate the problem in the shop and said that Everything checked out fine for him. He said the boat should be running like a top. So I took it home, tore it down and replaced what I thought was a bad injector with a new one I had purchased. It ran even worse. So the one thing the mechanic couldn't check was fuel flow through the injectors. I pulled them again and sent them to a different injector shop this go round. They found 2 injectors that were flooding and one other that was boarder line flooding. They adjusted / calibrated all 6 injectors to the same factory specs. The injector shop I used last year didn't do that. They just cleaned em. Plus this company gave me a one week turnaround. I Mailed them on Monday, they received them on wed, repaired onThursday, mailed Thursday and I received them back on fri. I Installed them fri night and back on the water sat nov 23. In testing on the water I hit 6000 RPM and 74.4 MPH. Total cost for this recent education : 1000.00. Knowing more about the injectors and HPDI fuel system now that I didn't know a month ago cost me an extra 500.00 more than what it should have. But lesson learned. A Higher education is gonna cost ya one way or another lol.

But! I tested my TM batteries. One is bad too. A 31 HD series deep cycle. It just never stops haha.

Maybe now I can get back to staying focused on fishing instead of worrying about if I am going to get back to the ramp or not. Besides Anna cup I have had three days on the water in Nov. Two of the three days fishing in a broke boat. I have maybe three days left I can fish in Nov to try and catch a lake Anna marina contest fish. Gotta get focused lol.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Glad to hear you are back on the water Jim. Stipers all over the lake were moaning that, the darn BassCat with the man in the green suit is back on the water, and passing the word to keep their mouths shut. LOL

Hope that was the problem all along Jim and you'll have no more issues with it. Welcome back on the water. Run it like a scalded dog.....ahem
    Crank That Jank!

Did you send them to Brucato? Mine are soon to be pulled and sent for reworking. My motor is running fine and I want to keep it that way.

Yep. They were awesome.

Glade that's working for you now was good to see you on water Saturday
    2017 Ironman winner

Glad to hear its running good. I

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Welcome back to the water, Jimmy. Glad to hear you have it all sorted out.

Jim/Tox - It's a bit of a travel for you, but I have the absolute best Yamaha tech on the east side of Bmore... When I had the hpdi, he's who saved me when all other techs were just part changers. I have used him ever since. He is also mobile but for you 2 I can see that being pricey as he charges his hourly rate while enroute. He does have a physical shop though.

When my hpdi was running out of warranty and it blew, he got me the new motor from yamaha, has very good connections.

Jim I had non stop injector issues, and I ran seafoam and or ring free non stop. Ed told me I had the cleanest cylinders and heads he had ever seen... but those injectors are just so fine, the smallest particle make them run lean. All of those fuel filters need to be changed a lot more frequently then yamaha tells you.

I as well had to have the ECU replaced once or twice... it was preventing me from cold morning starts.

Another big thing was letting that motor warm up to 120* each time before running it. I went ahead and installed a digital gauge, it takes a long time to warm it up to those temps, especially this time of year, pretty much almost 10 minutes some mornings.

Thanks Eric for the info. I just got around to seeing your post buddy. After all that work I just done it lasted one day. I went out yesterday the 29th and it screwed up again. It started and ideled perfectly and after about five minutes it dropped off another cylinder or two again. I always let that thing warm up. Because The hpdi only runs on four cylinders in nutral I put it in gear and idel up the lake for a good ten minutes to make sure all six cylinders are up to temp. I don't think I could afford your guy Eric lol. Since my wife can no longer work our household income took a 37K a year loss. So I am on a tight budget. I am not gonna starve by no means. I just have to watch every penny right now. Like you said; a good mechanic is hard to find. I can't afford a 100.00 an hour labor on someone who is clueless and hundreds of dollars or maybe a thousand bucks on parts that ain't broke. If I could find a mech that could nail this thing down and get it right the first time I'd be so appetitive I'd probably kiss his butt in front of the bank on payday.

I think I'll just run the darn thing till it blows and just be done with it. I am very frustrated right now. Fuel verses electrical faults are so close in symptoms it's hard to nail down but not impossible. Sometimes you just got to run em until it breaks and stays broke.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast