Thread: Tach RPMs increasing

Default Tach RPMs increasing

I have a 50HP, 2 stroke, 2009 on a Tracker 175TXW. I've noticed that when running say between 4500-5500 rpm and steady, the tach will start to climb to almost pegging out! But the motor rpm sound doesn't change. To make this even better, this happens intermittently. Ideas???

Have you check your prop to make sure its tight and the inside hub hadnt spun? Motor trimmed too high at the time?
    Crank That Jank!

ours does the same.... try tapping on the gauge with your knuckles....I think the gauges are crap in the trackers. At least our rpm guage is... It has done that since pop bought it new.
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by J.Cash View Post
    ours does the same.... try tapping on the gauge with your knuckles....I think the gauges are crap in the trackers. At least our rpm guage is... It has done that since pop bought it new.
    The fonzie touch. I like it. Works for me too on about everything lol.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Quote Originally Posted by just1more View Post
    The fonzie touch. I like it. Works for me too on about everything lol.
    Who's fonzie??

Just kidding!!!!

I'm younger than Just1more, but no that young.

Prop/hub is secure. Not slippage or prop blow out. Fonzie touch hell, break out a hammer!

My Evinrude does the same thing. I talked to a mechanic about it and he said it was caused by something electronic (expensive) on the engine, not just the tach. I forget what he said it was, but it wasn't worth the expense to fix it, it works most of the time.

It may be as simple as a grounding issue with the tach, I'd at least start with checking all connections to it to make sure they are tight,dry, and corrosion free. It's not causing a "real" issue as far as funcionality of the boat, just annoying. I'd look into replacing the Tach also, that is something that would just bother the mess out of me, and with what cash said, it may be a common issue with the OEM tach on those trackers.
    </div>