Thread: Training verses Teaching

Default Training verses Teaching

Proverbs 22:6

King James Version (KJV)

6 ďTrain up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from itĒ.

There is a Hugh difference between gaining knowledge, being educated, and then knowing when and how to use what you have learned in real life, in the work force, and even in fishing. Itís not enough to preach at your children, teach them and or educating them in the Word and knowledge of the Lord. Thatís a good start yes: but then you have to train them how to use it and apply it to their lives.
    As an example; It is said and is very true that men will fight in war exactly the way they are trained in peace time. I was a Tanker in the USMC from 1975 to 1994 and prior to that I was a Marine grunt. When we went to the rifle range in the 70ís and early 80ís it consisted of a 1 week course of marksmanship instruction followed by 3 days of live fire practice and two additional days of qualification. We fired Standing, kneeling and sitting from the 200 yd line, followed by sitting and rapid fire prone positions from the 300 yard line and prone position from the 500 yard line. This trained Marines to be expert ďTarget shootersĒ no doubt. Itís rare in combat when you can sit in an open position, in a relaxed state of mind, and take 20 to 30 seconds to aim, breath, take up slack and squeeze the trigger. Somewhere along the mid 80ís time frame the marines made a shift away from making us target shooters to real combat shooters. There were three additional days added to the training. After the first two full weeks we then began realistic combat shooting. We would have to run from the 500 yard line to the 200 yard line in full gear, plop down and fire off a couple of rounds at a real life battlefield size target of an enemy soldier trying to not get shot. Then put on a gas mask run back to the 300 yard line, plop down, and with your heart beating so hard it felt as if it were going to explode fire at the same target sighting through a scratched up gas mask face shield with sweat pouring down your face because it was 90 degrees out with 65% humidity. The first time we shot under those conditions the results were pathetic and shameful to a Marine. We fired about 3000 rounds that day with only 11 recorded target hits. Needless to say this did not go over well with the USMC chain of command or with the US Congress, but after extensive training in shooting under those conditions the results returned once again to being worthy of a marine rifleman. Thatís the difference between teaching someone to shoot and training them to shoot.

And so it is with the Word of God. Itís so important not only teach your children about God but to train your child in the ways of the Lord and in the things of real life situations. This includes us as well. This means learning about who God is and isnít, learning the word of god and then how to apply the Word of God in your daily life, in marriage, friendships, business, etc.

Lets face it. Your children are going to learn about life, disapponitment, anger, hurt, what is wright or what is wrong from someone. The list is endless isnt it? Would you rather it be from you, or the TV, school, or the kid down the strret?

God Bless and see you guys on the water.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

I let the world train, but I teach when it comes to my kids. I always want to see if the world knows and what their friends "believe" in too. This way I can regulate and discuss issues with their parents as I "try" to at least have conversation with them too. What we usually find when bad thoughts or training comes around is there is another 3rd party interjecting the wrong beliefs OR our kids have simply drawn their own conclusuions w/o discussing with us first. AND it is usually a sensative discussion and I will go to great lengths (Mapboards, flowcharts, graphs and tables as well as books and the internet) to explain. I usually get the "roll of eyes" as I am setting of the auditorium of sorts. Those who know me well know I am detailed and I like discussion as well as A-V aids to that discussion. Specially when I am fishing .
    Last edited by Fish With My Kids; 01-17-2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: change the bolded from teaching to training

Both of my kids have grown up learning about Jesus and the bible in Sunday school and youth groups at church. They have been doing that since they were old enough to speak pretty much and I feel they both have a solid foundation with that. They know what is right from wrong and I feel like if they get in a situation at school or where ever they could be tempted to do something wrong they will use what they have learned in Sunday school as well as what my wife and I have taught them to make the right decisions and do the right things. Surely they will make some bad decisions along the way and they will learn from them like we all have but I feel if you can teach them early in life they will always remember and have that teaching/training to fall back on when they get older and are faced with tough decisions and temptations.

Good topic Jim!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

And what makes it so good is that you guys spend a lot of time with your children. Your children are with you enough to see you living out day to day exactly what you have taught them and trained them to do too. It doesn't get any better than that.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper