Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about food plots

Done, sown with 50/50 red and white clover. Will add winter wheat to the other half in October. Will post pics later.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    So y'all won't be disappointed this hunting season, I am already compiling a new list of thought-provoking one liners on baiting. I must admit that Charlie's (Gsniper's) use of academia and industry to help him determine how best to bait for deer is a novel approach. I appreciate that kind of unabashed baiting. After all, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.

And the game begins . . .
    So my purist, Hunter baiting partner will fish any brushpile he can find, very unabashedly. For those of you not catching the reference, foodplots and brushpiles accomplish he same thing. They locate the animals and the feesh...To my knowledge he has never turned up his nose when he spots a brushpile, rather, he marks the waypoint and fishes the heck out of it Just sayin....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Size .28 acres. Some if it you can't see over the hill. Plowed, disc'd three times, 400lb pelleted lime, 200lb 10-10-10 fertilizer. Sowed with red and white clover, drug with a weighted pallet. Now all I need is some rain.

Attachment 4396

Thats about 20 times the amount of area I'm planting......lol
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Even a little bit is good. If you don't get one in any bigger than a bathtub it will still pull deer to the area. I have the advantage of my tractor, which makes the whole operation a lot easier. I'm going to about double the size of it next year. Mainly just to piss off that brushpile beating 31Abn.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodelrod View Post
    E, i assume a controlled burn gets rid of unwanted seed heads as well as weeds? Thistle has taken over here. Rather than spray and til, which would put those seeds in the soil, would a burn eliminate all? How do you do a controlled burn?
    Yes you can hear the weed seeds popping as it burns. First thing you need to do is get a permit from the fire marshal to do it. We sprayed the plots to kill all the weeds and a couple weeks later we tilled around the edge to make a fire break. Then we got a propane torch and lit the field in several spots. If you have a decent wind the wind will push the fire and burn the field up quick. Make sure you have plenty of water around in case the fire jumps. We didn't have any issues last year (first time we've ever tried it). Didn't have too much for weeds this year. In fact it may be difficult to burn because of that. We may just bushhog it and till it this time.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Here is a view of our "killing plot". This one is about 1.75 acres. We planted it in a mix of oats and winter peas. We put a strip of winter greens down the center. We do another plot the same way (1.25 acres) and then another plot (1 acre) in tall tine tubers and oats mixed. This pick is taken from the "killing tree". It's a pretty cool setup for bow hunting.
    Eric

Thanks! think I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    Yes you can hear the weed seeds popping as it burns. First thing you need to do is get a permit from the fire marshal to do it. We sprayed the plots to kill all the weeds and a couple weeks later we tilled around the edge to make a fire break. Then we got a propane torch and lit the field in several spots. If you have a decent wind the wind will push the fire and burn the field up quick. Make sure you have plenty of water around in case the fire jumps. We didn't have any issues last year (first time we've ever tried it). Didn't have too much for weeds this year. In fact it may be difficult to burn because of that. We may just bushhog it and till it this time.
    </div>

Is that this year already?

Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    Here is a view of our "killing plot". This one is about 1.75 acres. We planted it in a mix of oats and winter peas. We put a strip of winter greens down the center. We do another plot the same way (1.25 acres) and then another plot (1 acre) in tall tine tubers and oats mixed. This pick is taken from the "killing tree". It's a pretty cool setup for bow hunting.
    </div>

No not this year. That was last year. We have the plots sprayed right now. The land owner is on vacation this week. When he gets back next week we will get started on them. We usually plant the first week of September.
    Eric

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast