Thread: The shrink boat covers and snow load?

Default The shrink boat covers and snow load?

Hey Pards,

I had to clear my fabric boat cover as the storm had layers of ice/slush/snow that distorted the cover badly. Lots of shoveling here at Rockland Creek. So, I wondered how the white shrink plastic covers held up with this unusual snow? Maybe the snow/ice can't stick to the tight plastic?

Joy T Brew

In my experience it does not stick. My buddy does his big boat and he never has any issues

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Hey G3Mike,

Never had this problem for the many years I've used the fabric cover on my T top craft. But, the snow/rain/freeze/snow, etc. stacked up the water weight something fierce. Like moving buckets of water with the show shovel. Would have leaked through the fabric and out the skuppers, but . . . If this kind of snow continues as a yearly event, I'll have to modify my winter boat storage. Just moved to Bumpass from Scottsburg, VA and never had this kind of snow load.

Thanks for your reply,

Joy TB

You can always use a blue tarp over you regular cover for winter storage. Just get one big enough and tie it taught to the trailer and if you leave the seats up high and go over the engine it creates a nice v shape that the snow falls off.

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Quote Originally Posted by g3mike View Post
    You can always use a blue tarp over you regular cover for winter storage. Just get one big enough and tie it taught to the trailer and if you leave the seats up high and go over the engine it creates a nice v shape that the snow falls off.
    Thats what I do.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Hey G3Mike,

Sounds like a plan, but the T and stuff above the T makes a single piece blue tarp messy. Might have to do panels on top of the existing fabric. This gated community won't allow a coverall carport for my boat, or any other structure besides an attached garage to the main residence. In my other life, I moved away from home owner associations for this very obvious reason. I want full control of use of my property. But, my wife wanted to live like a renter where the association must approve where an owner may pee in the yard. I think most owners bought property years ago for the purpose of using the deeded dock. They don't give a rat about the covenants regarding a home in the community. Yet, I'm hoping that there's some fish in my days to come that will be consolation.

Wrapping the boat up too much might not work well as I do plan to use it frequently. For example, I do the month of December at Kiptopeke for COWs!

See my boat cover as I see it from the warmth of my cave.

Name:  Thaw after storm.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  621.5 KB

I might have to get my family to sew something that will solve my problem. One has an upholstery machine and . . . Wanted him to do the wind screen for the T, but another friend suggested that I keep it simple and it worked great on the bay. The wind screen is rolled up and velcro holds it when deployed with some help from the web buckles.

Name:  SeaPro Wind Screen rolled.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  574.2 KB

If the photo gets attached, you can see my perception of a problem with the blue/silver canvas.

Joy TB

Snow and Ice slide right off the blue tarp. I have a cover and then Tarp it for long term protection both summer and winter. Best price on Tarps I have seen is Harbor Freight