Thread: Chinese SKS

Default Chinese SKS

I'm thinking of using one of these for hunting hogs. I have researched this weapon and noted that there is some reputation for an occasional slam fire when not cleaned properly coupled with the free floating firing pin. Some folks have suggested that the firing pin be replaced by a Murray's Firing Pin which is a pin that uses a spring. Anyone know if these pins are worth it? Also, would this be a suitable weapon for killing a big hairy hog with giant tusks?
    Thank God For Rednecks

12 gauge loaded alternate between slugs and double oo's......
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

"Big hairy hog with giant tusks" = big scary gun with guaranteed working parts.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

I use a tikka tactical 308 with adjustable trigger pull. Its good for 750 yards with my scope. They always drop.

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

The 7.62x39mm is a solid round. Plenty of stopping power. No worries there.

Yes, the Norinco (Chinese) SKSs can be finicky. Odd because the Soviet versions are bullet proof. Drop'em in the sand, mud, water and they shoot all day long. Virtually indestructible.

Are you hellbent on an autoloader? Why not use a single shot (bolt action) and a pistol back-up? That's what we do out west. More options on calibers, more knock-down power (with other calibers), and the pistol handles the finish w/ little worry for spraying rounds down range. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    The 7.62x39mm is a solid round. Plenty of stopping power. No worries there.

Yes, the Norinco (Chinese) SKSs can be finicky. Odd because the Soviet versions are bullet proof. Drop'em in the sand, mud, water and they shoot all day long. Virtually indestructible.

Are you hellbent on an autoloader? Why not use a single shot (bolt action) and a pistol back-up? That's what we do out west. More options on calibers, more knock-down power (with other calibers), and the pistol handles the finish w/ little worry for spraying rounds down range. Just a thought.
    Thanks for the information. That was very helpful.
    Thank God For Rednecks

What I would do before hunting hogs with a SKS is get two boxes of soft-point 7.62 (you are planning on hunting with soft point ammo, right?) and running it through your gun. I can't imagine it'll have any trouble feeding, but better safe than sorry. Outside of that, 7.62x39 should be perfectly adequate in the majority of ranges you'd be dealing with, especially for hogs.

I took my first deer with a Yugo SKS, big buck didnt take one step. That round will work just fine. I will echo what Dorian said though, use a good soft point hunting round. Surplus ammo and the cheap Russian stuff will just come apart on impact.